Many people may not like this Vegetable because of it ‘s light Pungent smell or Bland taste . Low Calorie Vegetable with lot of Health Benefits .Follow my recipe and your family will never notice the vegetable . Once you try the Curry it is going to be a must in your Grocery list. It all depends on how we Cook and ingredients we add . Pick medium , lighter tones of green which will have tender seeds and dont need to discard .Snake gourd is a bland Vegetable and need to add ingredients to make it palatable . It is also known as Chinese cucumber , Potlakaya in telugu, pudalangai in Tamil, Pointed gourd in Hindi, Padwal , Padavala in Kannada is one of the Healthy vegetable. The common name Snake gourd refers to the narrow twisted elongated fruit .
Perfect vegetable for those who want to loose weight as it low Calorie vegetable and keep weight under control.Because of its Water content it reduces dryness in the body. Good source of fiber which helps people with Diabeties and keeps digestive system Healthy. After buying try to Cook in Couple of days as it looses it freshness . Wrap in a Paper towel , then into Ziplock Bag and store in lower shelf of refrigerator .
Don’t Skip Coconut mixture with sesame seeds, Curry powder and Lime juice . Key ingredients for the recipe. Serve with Steamed Rice / Phulka along with Microwave Papad , Home made Pickle and Yogurt raita.
Recipe for 3 to 4 People .
Preparation time : 15 minutes Cooking time : 15 Minutes .
1. Cook Snakegourd with Channa Dal and refrigerate .
2. Chop Onions and refrigerate .
3. Grind Coconut Mixture with Toasted sesame seeds and refrigerate .
4. Don’t add more Water while Pressure cooking the Vegetable .
5. Don’t squeeze water . It will get Mushy and will loose all nutrients.
1. Snake Gourd – 2 Long Medium ( Cut into Circles)
2. Channa Dal – 1/2 Measuring Cup ( Soak for 30 to 60 Minutes )
3. Onion – 1 Medium ( Chopped)
4. Grated Ginger and Garlic – 1 tbsp each
5. Oil – 2 to 3 tbsp
6. Salt and Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp
7. Seasoning – Urad dal , Mustard seeds , Cumin seeds , Broken red chillies – 3 , Curry leaves .
8. Home made Curry Powder – 1/2 to 1 tbsp ( Blend of red chilli Powder , Coriander and Cumin Powder, Garlic cloves and Coriander leaves with stems)
9. Juice of Lime – 1/2 and Finely chopped Coriander Leaves
10. To Grind : Grind 1/4 th Cup dry coconut with 2 Green Chillies , 2 tbsp roasted sesame seeds and Salt .
3. Once pressure comes down transfer to a plate and Cool down . Don’t squeeze the vegetable , it will get mushy. No water will be left to drain . You can even refrigerate Overnight too .
4. Heat 1 tbsp Oil and Saute Onions with 1 tbsp Cumin seeds, Turmeric, Curry leaves , Red chillies and Hing. Once Onions are Brown add Grated ginger and Garlic and fry for Couple of minutes.
5. Add Cooked Channa Dal and Snakegourd and fry 3 to 4 minutes. Add one more tbsp Oil .
6. Once light brown add Coconut mixture , Curry Powder . Mix gently . Squeeze Juice of Lime and Garnish with finely Chopped Coriander leaves.