Dinner at five : Read the procedure carefully to enjoy the new taste of Gavar ( Indian Cluster Beans ) . Adding Spices at different stages of Cooking enhances the taste . I prepare Curry Powder at home and refrigerate and use in my everyday cooking. . When you add curry powder after Potato is browned, it gets lightly sauted in the oil and well Coated to each and every piece of Gavar. The nutty flavor from toasted Sesame seeds brings maximum flavor along with other Spices. Squeezing juice of Lime and Chopped Coriander will wake up all the flavors. This vegetable is good source of Phosphorous and Calcium which makes Bones stronger.Reduces Cholesterol levels because of its fiber content and Potassium. Low in Calories and Heart Healthy vegetable.
I suggest to cut Gavar day before and refrigerate for 3 Hours and Pressure cook directly without bringing to room temperature . Once cooked , Cool and refrigerate for 2 to 3 Hours before cooking . You can do this day before and refrigerate , so vegetable won’t get mushy . I even shared how to Prepare tomato raita with sesame seeds spice powder( 1/4 th of what we prepared) . We liked the new taste of Sesame seeds in Yogurt. Adds nice flavor and taste. Chickpea Pickle is a perfect combination for this Meal . My Kids liked the taste of chickpea’s soaked in Limejuice and Spices. Here is the recipe for Gavar ,Sesame Raita and Chickpea’s Pickle
Recipe for 4 People . Preparation and Cooking time : 30 minutes .
2. Onion – Medium( Chopped)
3. Boiled Potato – 2 Medium ( Cubed)
4. Grated ginger and Garlic – 1 tbsp
5. Oil – 2 to 3 tbps
6. Salt and Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp
7. Curry Leaves and finely chopped Coriander Leaves
8. Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
9. Water – 1/4 th cup to Cook Gavar
10. Curry Powder – 1/2 to 1 tbsp ( Blend of Red chilli Powder, Coriander and Cumin powder, Garlic and Coriander leaves with stems)
11. SESAME SEED SPICE POWDER – Dry roast 1 tbsp Cumin and Coriander seeds each , 2 tbsp sesame seeds . Cool and grind with 2 handfuls of dry coconut , 2 Green chillies and 2 Cloves of Garlic 12. Juice of Lime – 1/2
1. Pressure Cook Gavar with 1/4 th cup Water , Potato . Season with salt for 2 Whistles on medium High flame. When Pressure comes down Cool them in a wide plate . No water will be left over to drain .
2. Heat 2 tbsps Oil and Saute onions with Boiled and cubed Potato , Cumin seeds , Turmeric and Curry Leaves . Once Onions are brown season with salt and 1/2 to 1 tbsp Curry powder . Add grated ginger and Garlic Paste . Fry for Couple of Minutes .
3. Now add Cooked and Cooled Gavar along with 1 tbsp Oil . Mix well , so the Curry Powder is well Coated to the Vegetables . Fry for 2 to3 minutes till water evaporates.
4. Once the vegetable is lightly dry switch off the stove and add 3/4 th Sesame seed Powder . Mix gently . If needed add one more tbsp Oil .
5. Cool the Curry for few minutes and squeeze Juice of Lime and finely chopped Coriander leaves.
SERVE with steamed rice, Tomato sesame raita and Chickpea Pickle .
Recipe for Tomato Sesame Raita:
1.Heat 1 tbsp Oil and Splutter Cumin seeds . Add chopped tomato . Season with salt and Curry powder . Cook until tomato is soft . It will take 3 minutes.
2. Cool the Tomato before adding to Curd( Yogurt)
3. Once cooled add to One and Half Measuring Cup Yogurt. to this add Chopped Onion and 1/4 th Sesame spice Powder ( we prepared for Gavar ) .
4. Add finely chopped Coriander Leaves . Mix well . Check for salt and Spices and adjust accordingly.
Recipe for Chickpea Pickle :
1.Soak 2 Handfuls Chickpea’s Overnight . In the morning Wash Chickpeas 3 to 4 times . Drain out all water and transfer to a Bowl .
2. To this add chopped Onion ( Small , Cut length wise) , Chopped Cucumber ( 2 medium) , Red chilli powder , ajwain ( carom seeds) , Coriander and Cumin Powder . Squeeze Juice of Lime . Season with Salt .Add finely chopped Coriander Leaves.