I’m so excited to share the new recipe I tried with Karela ( Bitter Gourd ) . It is a two – step Cooking . But worth a try.Stays good in the refrigerator for more than 3 days. It is like a Pickle . Add Oil and Spices according to your taste . As it is bitter , need to marinate atleast for an hour. It is a very low Calorie vegetable( If not deep fried) 17 Calories per 100 grams. Good source of fibre and helps in flushing out toxins from body. If you are adding Bitter gourd to your diet , make sure you limit 4 to 5 times in a month . It is a very Old age vegetable and traced back 600 years ago .It is grown widely as a backyard vegetable or as a field crop and commonly found in Africa , Asia . I Marinade karela in Tamarind buttermilk and salt for an hour or two. This soaking will cut down the bitterness of Karela , will soften and cooks fast with less Oil . I pan fried Karela in a single layer for even cooking. It’s Unique in flavor and taste.
Recipe for 3 to 4 People . Two step Cooking – Pan frying Karela and Preparing Coriander Pickle.
Preparation for KARELA :
1. Karela – 5 ( Medium and thin cut into circles )
2. Yogurt( curd) – 1/2 cup
3. Water – 1/2 cup
4. Tamrind – Lemon size
5. Salt – 1/2 tbsp
6. Oil for Pan frying Karela
7. Juice of Lime – 1/2
Marinade Karela :
2. After an Hour or two , discard the marinade liquid. Don’t squeeze the pieces .
4. Check in between to avoid burning.
1. Coriander -2 Bunches
2. Tomatoes – 2
3. Onion – small ( Chopped)
4. Salt and Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp
5. Oil – 3 tbsp
6. Seasoning : Channa Dal – Handful , Urad dal , Mustard seeds , Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp , Red chillies – 2 , Hing – Pinch
7. Juice of Lime – Half
8. SPICES TO ROAST and GRIND : Channa dal – 3 tbsp , Urad dal – 1 tbsp , Cumin and Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp , Red chillies – 2 to 3 ( Mild spicy) . Cool the spices and grind with Tamarind ( Marble size)
METHOD for CORIANDER PICKLE :
1. Wash Coriander 3 to 4 times and drain out all water. Chop tomato .
2. Heat 1 tbsp Oil and cook finely chopped coriander and tomato with little Salt and Turmeric.
3. Once cooked , Cool before grinding .
4. Dry roast the Spices mentioned under Spices to roast and grind . Cool and grind with tamarind . Add Coriander and tomato and grind Coarsely and transfer to a Bowl .
5. To this add finely Chopped Onion and squeeze Juice of Lime . Heat Oil and add Channa dal followed by Urad dal , Cumin seeds , Mustard seeds, red chillies and Hing. Add this Seasoning to Coriander Pickle . Mix well . Check for Salt and Spices and adjust accordingly .
COMBINING KARELA and CORIANDER PICKLE : Heat 1 tbsp Oil and Saute crushed Garlic ( 4 to 6 Cloves) , 1 tbsp Cumin seeds . Add Pan fried Karela , One Mesuring Cup Coriander Pickle , 1/2 to 1 tbsp Curry Powder( Blend of red chilli powder, Coriander Powder , Cumin powder , Garlic and Coriander leaves with stems ) . Mix well . SERVE with Steamed rice or Phulka or Plain Paratha along with Papad and Raita .