Indian Broad Beans also know as Horse Bean , English Bean , Tick Bean got their name from the seeds which are large. Most Beans including Broad Beans are good source of Iron. Adding to your diet provides a boost of Protein , fiber , Potassium and energy providing B vitamins. It grows in winter from September to March because it requires a Cold season for growth . Moderate moisture supply is necessary for this bean to flourish well. try to pick Beans which are not flat and dry but meaty , tender and Plump beans inside . Take out fiber from both sides before you cook. I pressure cooked the Beans with very little water( no lost of nutrition) and for fast cooking. Cool in a wide plate before adding to the Curry . So the Curry won’t be mushy. Source : HM
If you normally find some vegetables are bland turn them into a delicacy and you will learn to love these vegetables.How to make the Veggies a lot less boring is by adding spices. For some Vegetables flavors will intensify if we add Spices, Onions , Ginger and Garlic. Onions are rich in compounds to fight certain diseases . To cut the sharpness of Onions saute with GINGER and GARLIC which brings flavor and sweetness. I shared Homemade spice Powder and CURRY POWDER will add flavor and spicy bite you want.They will add rich deep flavor that you will love. The vegetable will taste so good when it coated with tomato masala paste with spices. Try this Simple and delicious Vegetable to pair with Phulka or Plain paratha.
Recipe for 4 People . Preparation and Cooking time : 30 minutes .
1. Indian Broad Beans – 6 Handfuls
2. Onion – 1 chopped
3. Tomatoes – 3 ( Chopped )
4. Boiled Potato – 2 ( Cubed, add 1/2 tbsp curry powder and 1/2 tbsp oil and coat the potaoes with the spices before adding to the Curry ) Curry Powder is a blend of red chilli powder , Coriander and Cumin powder , Garlic and Fresh Coriander.
5. Grated Garlic and Ginger – 1 tbsp
6. Oil – 3 tbsp
7. Cumin seeds , Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp each , red chillies – 2
8. Spice Powder : Dry roast 1/2 tbsp Cumin seeds , 1/2 tbsp Coriander seeds, Fennel seeds, Mustard and fenugreek seeds – 1/4 th tbsp , Red chillies , Cloves -2 , Cardamom – 1 or 2 and small piece of Cinnamon . Cool and grind with 2 tbsp dry coconut and Mango Powder or tamarind .
9 . Fresh Coconut or Dry coconut – 1/4 th Cup
10. Curry leaves and finely chopped Coriander leaves .
1. Remove the fiborous part from both sides of Indian Broad Beans. Wash 3 to 4 times and cut into 3 inch long. Pressure Cook with 1/4 th Cup water for 2 whistles on medium high flame .Season with Salt .
2. When Pressure comes down transfer them into a wide plate and cool them .( No water will be left to drain )
3. Heat 2 tbsp oil and splutter Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, Red chillies , Curry Leaves. Add Onions . Season with Salt and Turmeric . Mix well . Fry until Onions are Brown . Add grated ginger and garlic . Fry for Couple of minutes .
4. Now add Tomatoes and Spice powder . Mix well and cook until tomatoes are soft. Add 1 or 2 tbsp Oil .
5. Once tomatoes are cooked with Spices add Cooked and Cooled Broad Beans and Boiled and Cubed Potato. Mix well , so the tomato masala is well coated to the Beans and Potato. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes.
6. After 5 Minutes switch off the stove and add finely chopped Coriander leaves and Coconut . Check for Salt and Spices and adjust accordingly.
SERVE with Phulka or Plain Paratha .