If anybody in your family doesn’t like Karela( Bitter gourd) then definitely try this recipe.
New recipe with New stuffing ( You have never tried before) .
Why it so Easy : Because you can prepare the Stuffing ahead of time and refrigerate or store in an airtight container.
Healthy : Pan fried with Minimum Oil .
Complicated : Shared how to cook in minimum time .
Bitter : Shared how to reduce Bitterness of Karela .
Are Kids going to Like it : 100 Percent .
Left overs are good : If refrigerated and reheat before serving.
Try New recipe with Karela( Bitter gourd) .I prepared this recipe 2 times . Once I left the Karela ( Marinade )overnight in the refrigerator and Cooked Next day and it took less time to Cook . This Soaking will reduce Bitterness of Karela( Bitter gourd) and Cooks fast with Less Oil . Next time I didn’t Plan to Cook Karela for next day , So I marinade for Couple of Hours. After Couple of Hours I discard the Marinade Liquid , Washed and Microwaved for 4 to 5 Minutes in a Microwave safe Bowl( For every minute flip the Karela ) . This microwaving softened the Karela and Cooked fast in Less time. and Less Oil .
You are going to like the New stuffing I prepared with Mixed Nuts and Spices . It became our favorite recipe and easy to Prepare and Cook . Prepare the stuffing ahead of time and refrigerate and will stay good for more than 5 Days. Adding Vadi to stuffing adds little Crunch and taste good too. Squeeze Juice of Lime if needed . But i didn’t Squeeze as the Bitter gourd is not Bitter because of Marinating or I used thin and Medium sized Bitter gourd.
Note : If you don’t have Coriander and Cumin Powder. Dry roast Cumin and Coriander seeds – 1/2 tbsp each with Mixed Nuts .
Recipe for 8 Karela . Preparation and Cooking time : 30 Minutes
1.Karela ( Bitter gourd) – 8 ( Medium , thin )
2. Oil – 2 to 3 tbsp
4. Juice of Lime – Half
5. Marinade : Yogurt ( Curd) – Half cup , Water – One cup , Salt , Turmeric and Tamarind – Lemon size( Soak tamarind in warm water and extract Juice)
6.Spices and Nuts to roast and Grind – Dry roast Handful of Mixed Nuts ( Almonds, Pistachios , Walnuts ,Cashews and nuts of your choice), 1 tbsp Sesame seeds, 10 Peanuts. . Cool and grind with 1/4 th Cup Dry Coconut,Red chilli powder – 1 tbsp, Coriander and Cumin Powder – 1/2 tbsp each, Garlic cloves – 4 to 5 ( Peeled) . .Mix Crushed Vadi and Mango Powder ( Optional)
7. Vadi – 1/4 th Cup ( Fry in a tbsp Of Oil . Cool , Crush with a rolling Pin and Mix with Nuts and spice Powder . Mix Mango Powder too .
MARINADE : Mix Yogurt ( Curd) with water , Salt , Turmeric and Tamarind Juice and Marinade Karela . Make a slit in the middle of Karela . Pour the Liquid even in the slit. Leave Overnight in the refrigerator or 3 to 4 Hours on Kitchen counter ( Morning). Flip in between to make sure each Karela is well Marinated. OR LEAVE OVERNIGHT IN THE REFRIGERATOR .
- Discard the Marinade liquid , Wash Karela and Pan fry . Heat a tbsp Oil and Place Karela in a single Layer . Drizzle Oil on each Karela and Cover and Cook on Medium / Medium High flame . Flip in between , so it will be Brown on all sides.
2. Once Brown , Uncover, Push Karela aside and add the spice powder with a tbsp Oil and fry for a minute as shown in the Picture. Switch off the Stove.
3. Once Karela and spice Powder is cooled , Stuff Karela with Spice Powder. Squeeze Juice of Lime and Optional .
SERVE warm with Steamed Rice/ Phulka and Dal .