We usually eat Ridge gourd Curry or Chutney with Dal . Instead of Cooking Dal separately , I tried this recipe. It taste delicious with any grains of your Choice or Daliya( Cracked wheat) or Steamed rice ,microwave Papad and Raita .
Dry roast the Dal on medium flame. If burned the Chutney won’t taste good. Ridge Gourd is one vegetable that I buy and cook every week . You are going to like the new recipe with ridge gourd , toor dal or Yellow Moong Dal , spices and tangy taste from tamarind and Lime juice. What I like about this recipe is no need to throw the peels ( except trimming the ridges) and make use of whole vegetable. For dal and curries we need to peel and cook , otherwise it is little difficult to cook and to eat.
Ridge gourd is extremely rich in fiber and contains few calories( 40 calories per cup) and digests slowly and keeps you full .It contains Insulin like peptides that lowers and balance Blood sugar. This amazing gourd is good detoxifying agent for the liver , blood and other tissues of the body . Our immune system works properly when toxins are removed from the body.
This vegetable doesn’t need much oil as it will be cooked in its own water. They are versatile and can include in many dishes like Dal, Curries and chutneys. When you combine Toordal with Ridge gourd it not only taste good but has number of Health Benefits. Toordal is also referred as Lentils or split pigeon peas . Excellent source of nutrients, fiber and protein for vegetarians. Toordal and Yellow Moong Dal has complex carbohydrates and has increased nutritional value. Source : Health magazines. Cook with other vegetables and Protein and serve with grains of your choice.
Recipe for 4 people . Preparation and Cooking time : 30 Minutes .
1. Ridge Gourd – 3 ( Thin and Medium size)
2. Semi riped tomatoes – 2
3. Toor Dal – 1/2 Measuring Cup or Yellow Moong dal – 1/2 cup
4. Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
5. Red chillies – 4
6. Green Chillies – 2
7. Tamarind – Marble size
8. Juice of Lime – 1/2
9. Salt and Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp
10 . Garlic – 4 to 6 ( Peeled and Crushed)
11. Curry Leaves and Finely chopped Coriander Leaves
12. Seasoning – Urad dal – 1 tbsp , Cumin and Mustard seeds , Red chillies – 2 and Hing .
1. Peel the ridges of ridge gourd . Wash and chop into small pieces. Chop Tomatoes . Heat a tbsp Oil and Cook Chopped Ridge gourd , Tomatoes , Cumin seeds and Green chillies – Season with Salt and Turmeric. Mix in between to avoid burning. Once cooked , switch off the stove and Cool before grinding.
2. Dry roast Toor dal or Yellow Moong Dal , Cumin seeds and Red chillies on a medium heat till Golden Brown . Don’t burn the Toor dal. Once the dal is light Brown , Switch off the stove and add Tamarind. Cool the Dal before grinding.
3. Grind Roasted Toordal or Yellow moong dal with Cumin seeds, Red chillies , Salt and Tamarind. Transfer to a Bowl .
4. Grind cooked Vegetables Coarsely and transfer to a Dal Bowl . Mix well .
5. Heat Oil and splutter Mustard seeds , Cumin seeds , Urad dal , Broken red chillies, Curry leaves and Hing. Add this tadka to the Chutney . Add finely chopped CORIANDER LEAVES and Squeeze Juice of Lime . Mix well . Check for SALT and SPICES and adjust accordingly.
SERVE with grains of your Choice, Raita and Papad .