Serve with Phulka and Tomato Rasam . Old Vegetable but always in my Menu . Today I’m sharing Raw Banana curry with Moong Dal and raisins. Added Spices , Coconut mixture and Lime for extra taste and Flavor. I did a little reading about Raw Banana or Plantain as I cook at least 3to 4 times in a month and learned some interesting facts.They are considered more of a vegetable and widely available around the world. It is an excellent source of Carbohydrates i.e Complex carbohydrates and naturally have Low GI of 38 which means there won’t be rapid increase of glucose in blood after eating when not deep fried. They are high in Vitamin B6 which is necessary for the formation of hemoglobin , the protein that carries oxygen in your body. Green Banana’s and Plantains are Good source of Resistant starch . According to one study , the resistant starch in Green banana’s increases the rate of fat burning by blocking the ability of the body to use carbohydrates. When the body can’t burn carbohydrates as fuel , it’s forced to use fat instead. Resistant starch is a type of starch that is not digested in stomach or Small intestine and reaches the colon intact . Thus it resists digestion and we won’t see Blood glucose spikes after eating RS and do not obtain significant calories from RS . Foods high in resistant starch also increase insulin sensitivity which can help people with type 2 diabetes control their blood sugars. plantains are good source of Potassium that helps control heart rate and blood pressure .Eating Green banana’s in moderation could have benefits for those who avoid ripe banana’s because of their high sugars. Source : Health Magazines
Recipe for 3 to 4 People .
Preparation and Cooking time : 30 Minutes
Recipe for Tomato RASAM : Heat 1 tbsp Oil and add Cumin seeds, Hing and Curry Leaves . Then add 2 Chopped Tomatoes . Cook for couple of minutes. Season with Salt , Turmeric and Rasam Powder. Add Crushed Ginger , Garlic ,Water and bring to Boil . Once it comes to boil , Switch off the stove and add finely chopped Coriander Leaves.
1. Raw Banana – 3 ( Small and thin )
2. Yellow Moong Dal – 2 Handfuls ( Soak for 30 minutes)
3. Raisins – Handful
4. Onion – 1 Medium Chopped
5. Water – Half of 1/4 th Cup
6. Coconut Mixture – 1/4 th Cup ( Grind 1/4 th cup of Dry coconut with 2 tbsp roasted Sesame seeds and 2 Green chillies without Salt)
7. Oil – 2 tbsp
8. Juice Of Lime – Half
9. Salt and Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp
10. Finely chopped Coriander and Mint Leaves
11. Curry Powder – 1 tbsp ( Blend of Red chilli powder , Coriander and Cumin Powder , Garlic and Fresh Coriander)
1. Soak Yellow Moong for 15 to 20 Minutes . Wash 3 to 4 times after Soaking. Chop Onions. Peel the Raw Banana and cut into small Pieces and Soak in Salt Water .
2. Heat 1 tbsp Oil and add Cumin seeds followed by Onions. Season with Salt , turmeric , Curry Leaves.
3. Once Onions are Brown add Chopped Raw Banana and Soaked Moong dal ( Drain out all Water). If needed Sprinkle some Water to Cook the Plantain . Mix gently . Add One tbsp Oil . Mix in between to avoid Burning.
4. Once raw Banana is Soft and Moong Dal is cooked , switch off the stove and add Curry Powder , Raisins , coconut Mixture and finely chopped Coriander and Mint Leaves. mix gently .
5. Wait for 5 Minutes and Squeeze Juice of Lime.
SERVE Warm with Phulka and TOMATO RASAM .