Indian Broad Beans with Red Bell Pepper Paste . Last week I shared Indian Broad Beans Curry with Mixed Vegetables and Couple more recipes . This week when I went to Indian Grocery stores for Vegetables , first thing that catch my eye are bright green and Plumpy Indian Broad Beans. I remember eating during Winter season and we love the simple Curry prepared with tomatoes ,Potatoes and Curry powder . Since I’m cooking every week , I’m trying more recipes.May be I’m going to buy every week till in season ( January and febuary or sometimes even year round ).
Today I’m sharing simple recipe with Red Bell Pepper . It adds nice flavor and taste to the Curry . Just pan fry the Pepper with a tbsp of Oil and grind into a Paste with rest of the Ingredients. Peppers are available through out the year but are usually in great abundance during the summer and early fall months. Paprika is a dried powder from Bell pepper that we see in spice section of the grocery store. Wrap Peppers in a Paper towel ( Unwashed ) and store in vegetable Compartment and they will stay good for 7 to 8 days. After 3 to 4 days keep them on Kitchen counter till they come to room temperature , Wrap in fresh paper towel and store in the refrigerator.Each Red Bell pepper provides 37 Calories with 2.5 grams of fiber. The higher amount of Vitamin C in a Bell Pepper is concentrated in the red variety. Red Bell Pepper are sweeter and mild in flavor and rich in antioxidants keeps your immune system healthy. High heat Cooking can damage some of the delicate Phyto nutrients – the flavonoid called luteolin will be destroyed in Bell Peppers . Cook on a Low heat for a short period of time. Source : Health Magazines .
I pressure cooked Indian Broad Beans with 1/4 th Cup Water for 2 whistles on medium high heat . So no water will be left to drain and fast way to Cook Beans. Cool in a wide Plate before Cooking , so it won’t turn Mushy. You can prepare the Red pepper Paste and Cook the Beans ahead of time and refrigerate. It will take 10 Minutes to Cook before you serve for Lunch / Dinner.
Serve with Phulka or Plain paratha , Carrot tomato Raita . ( Recipe for Carrot and Tomato Raita : Heat 1 tbsp Oil and add 1 /2 tbsp Cumin seeds . Add 5 grated Baby Carrots , One finely Chopped tomato . Season with Salt and 1/2 tbsp Rasam or Curry Powder . Cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Cool before addding to Curd ( Yogurt) . Add 1/4 th cup finely Chopped Onions to One cup Yogurt( Curd) and finely chopped Coriander Leaves) . Add Cooled and Cooked tomato to Curd . Mix and Serve with Curry and Phulka)Perfect combination and you will feel satisfied after eating this meal for Lunch /Dinner . Recipe for 4 People .
Preparation and Cooking time : 30 Minutes
1. Indian Broad Beans – 5 to 6 handfuls
2. Onion – 1 ( finely chopped )
3. Salt and Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp
4 . Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
5. Oil – 2 tbsp
6. Red Bell Pepper paste ( Grind Cooked red Bell pepper with 1 tbsp roasted Cumin seeds , 5 Almonds , 5 Walnuts , 1/2 juice of lime, little salt and 3 to 4 cloves of Garlic )
7. Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves and Mint Leaves .
8. Curry Powder – 1/2 to 1 tbsp ( Blend of red chilli powder, coriander and Cumin Powder , Garlic and Fresh Coriander)
9 . Boiled and Crumbled Potato – 2 ( Optional)
1. Remove the fiber from both sides of Indian Broad Beans . Wash before and after and soak in Water for 10 Minutes. Wash 4 to 5 times . After washing drain out all Water and cut into 2 Inch long Pieces. Cook Cubed Potato too. Pressure cook with 1/4 th cup Water for 2 Whistles on Medium High heat . Season with little salt . When Pressure comes down Cool on a wide plate before Cooking. No water will be left to drain out excess water.
2. Cook Red Bell pepper with a tbsp of Oil . Cool before grinding. Dry roast 5 Almonds , 5 Walnuts , 1 tbsp of Cumin seeds. Cool and grind with 3 to 4 cloves of Garlic , little Salt , red Bell pepper and Juice of Half Lime .
3. Heat a tbsp of Oil and add Cumin seeds followed by finely chopped Onions and Curry Leaves.
4. Once Onions are light Brown add Cooked and Cooled Indian Broad Beans , add One more tbsp Oil and fry till light Brown ( takes 3 to 4 Minutes) . Stir in between to avoid burning.
5. Once Beans are light Brown add Cooked and Crumbled Potato ,Red pepper paste . Mix gently . Add finely chopped Coriander Leaves and Mint Leaves . Check for Spices and adjust accordingly.
SERVE WARM with PHULKA .