It is Friday and I ‘m not in the mood of cooking Vegetables. I wanted to eat something different from regular food . While I was talking to my sister, I asked her to suggest a Khichdi or Biryani that I haven’t tried before. She suggested Masoor Dal Khichdi with Katta . I needed Masoor Dal so, I checked in my pantry for a substitute for Masoor dal, because I don’t use much in my Cooking ( Maybe I will buy in my next trip to grocery store to try this Masoor dal khichidi ) . Instead I have Green Split Peas that I use for Soups starring at me in the Pantry . I thought I would give this a try so, I found ingredients for the Rice recipe to go along with it, I needed some gravy i.e Katta means Sour. Need to add few ingredients to make it tastier ( Of course got recipe from my Sister ) . I quickly prepared Karela stir fry ( as meal look incomplete without Vegetable) .
Here is my Friday Lunch Menu Spinach Split Green Peas Biryani ( Rice) with Katta and Karela( Bitter gourd) stir fry . Karela stir fry is Optional , you can just Prepare rice with katta. I Cooked Split Green pea rice in RICE COOKER . Easy and no need to baby sit. Cooks perfectly with Grains separated and not Mushy .
Recipe for Karela stir fry:
Recipe for 3 . Preparation and Cooking time : 30 minutes
FOR KATTA :
1. Tamarind – Lemon size
2. Water – 3/4 to 1 cup
3. Salt and turmeric
4. Oil – 1 tbsp
5. Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp and Red chilli
6. Curry Leaves and Finely chopped Coriander Leaves
7. Curry Powder – 1/2 tbsp
8. Dry roast Handful of Peanuts with 1 tbsp Sesame seeds . Cool and Grind with 2 tbsp Coconut.
1. Soak Tamarind in Water and squeeze Pulp.
2. Heat 1 tbsp Oil and add Cumin seeds , red chillies . Switch off the stove and add Curry Leaves and chopped Coriander Leaves .
3. Add tamarind Water to the seasoning followed by Salt, turmeric Powder, Curry Powder and Powdered Peanut Powder . Check for Salt and Spices and adjust accordingly .
RECIPE for Spinach GREEN SPLIT PEAS BIRYANI :
1. BASMATI RICE of your choice – 1 Cup
2. Split Green Peas – 1/2 Cup
3. Water – 2 cups
4. Onion – 1 medium ( thinly sliced ) , Garlic cloves – 4 and Grated Ginger – small Piece
6. Oil – 4 to 5 tbsp
7. Spinach – 2 Big Handfuls Chopped or Chopped Coriander
8. Whole Garam Masala – 1 tbsp Cumin seeds , 4 Cloves , 3 Cardamom , Cinnamon – small stick , Bay Leaf .
1. Soak Green split Peas . Soak Basmati rice for 30 minutes . After 30 minutes wash rice for 3 to 4 times and add 2 cups water and Salt . Check water for Salt and add accordingly . Wash Split Green Peas and add to the Rice . Transfer Rice with Water and Split Green peas to Rice Cooker Bowl.
2. Heat Oil and fry sliced Onions till light Brown . Once Onions are Brown add Grated Garlic and Ginger and Whole Garam masala. Transfer to rice Bowl .
4. Add Chopped Spinach too . Mix well and Cook in the Rice Cooker .
5. SERVE WARM with Katta .