Ragi roti with Spinach Mango Dal or Sambar or Vegetables with Yogurt
We liked the new taste of Ragi roti . I tried with ragi flour and Chickpea flour . Not able to prepare Roti’s . So added Wheat flour. Came out perfect . Second time I tried with Yellow Moong flour and Rice flour . We liked this combination too .Serve them warm . If any left over’s transform them into Crackers. No need to Bake or Deep fry . Kids will like to munch on them . They tasted good with Spices . I didn’t use rolling Pin and Board to roll the Roti’s . Took the help of Ziplock . Cut the sides of Ziplock and place the RAGI BALL , press with your fingers. Cover with the Ziplock and press with a ROUND BOWL for perfect and even roti .
Ragi is the common name of Finger millet in southern part of India . It is a whole grain which contains all 3 parts of the Kernel the bran , germ and endosperm which makes it healthier and contains fiber and other essential Vitamins which are not lost in Processing . Fiber gives a feeling of fullness and controls excessive food consumption .Because of the fiber it slows down the digestion and controlling Blood sugar levels in case of diabetics. . They are too tiny to be processed and consumed in its purest form .Ragi flour is prepared by either crushing dried grains or sprouting , drying and grinding. It is gluten free and substitute for Wheat .Good source of Iron , Calcium , Minerals and Protein .Protein found in finger millet is good quality Protein which can be easily absorbed by the body . Easy to digest and nutritious food. Good choice for people who are trying to loose Weight because the fat content is lower in Ragi when compared to other Cereals and good source of Carbohydrates .Source : Health Magazines
Simple and easy recipe with 3 main Ingredients . Serve with Dal or Sambar or with Yogurt Curry. Here is the recipe .
NOTE : Serve warm . Don’t refrigerate and reheat .
Recipe for 4 Roti’s .
Preparation and Cooking time : 20 Minutes
1. Ragi flour – 1/2 Cup ( store bought)
2. Chickpea flour( Besan) – 1/4 th cup or Yellow Moong Dal flour
3. Wheat flour – Handful or Rice flour
4. Warm water – 1/4 th Cup
5. Oil – 2 tbsp
6. Rasam powder or sambar powder or Curry Powder – 1/2 to 1 tbsp
7. Ajwain – 1/4 th tbsp
9. Finely Chopped Onions
10 . Finely chopped Coriander
1. Mix Ragi flour with Chickpea flour , Wheat flour , Spices, Ajwain , 1 tbsp Oil , Salt, finely chopped Onions and Finely chopped Coriander .
2. Add water slowly and mix the flour like Chapathi dough .
3. No need to rest the dough , you can Prepare roti’s immediately .
4. Divide the dough into 4 equal portions . Shape them into ball by greasing your hand with little Oil. Cut the sides of Ziplock bag and grease with little Oil . Place the dough inside the Ziplock and press with your fingers . Cover with Ziplock and press with a round Bowl . So the roti will be even .
5. Heat a pan and fry the roti’s . Apply Oil when you flip .
SERVE WARM with Dal or Raita or any Vegetable Gravy .