Ragi roti with Spinach Mango Dal or Sambar or Vegetables with Yogurt
We liked the new taste of Ragi roti . I tried with ragi flour and Chickpea flour . Not able to prepare Roti’s . So added Wheat flour. Came out perfect . Second time I tried with Yellow Moong flour and Rice flour . We liked this combination too .Serve them warm . If any left over’s transform them into Crackers. No need to Bake or Deep fry . Kids will like to munch on them . They tasted good with Spices . I didn’t use rolling Pin and Board to roll the Roti’s . Took the help of Ziplock . Cut the sides of Ziplock and place the RAGI BALL , press with your fingers. Cover with the Ziplock and press with a ROUND BOWL for perfect and even roti .
Ragi is the common name of Finger millet in southern part of India . It is a whole grain which contains all 3 parts of the Kernel the bran , germ and endosperm which makes it healthier and contains fiber and other essential Vitamins which are not lost in Processing . Fiber gives a feeling of fullness and controls excessive food consumption .Because of the fiber it slows down the digestion and controlling Blood sugar levels in case of diabetics. . They are too tiny to be processed and consumed in its purest form .Ragi flour is prepared by either crushing dried grains or sprouting , drying and grinding. It is gluten free and substitute for Wheat .
100 grams of Ragi flour contain 336 k cal of carbohydrates ( least on calories , protein and fat) . Major portion of ragi flour is carbohydrates followed by protein and fiber and least amount of fat. Good source of calcium and the rest of other minerals ( Iron , niacin , Thiamin and Riboflavin ) are small . When compared to Brown rice , wheat , maize Ragi calcium in mgs is 350 ( Brown rice – 33 , Wheat – 30 , and maize – 26) . Even a diabetic needs carbohydrates for energy . All cereals contain 70 percent starch .Carbohydrate comparison with other grains ( Ragi – 72.6) , Brown rice( 76) , Wheat (71) maize (73).When compared with Brown rice , Wheat and Maize it is least in calories , protein and fat. Excess eating of Ragi could lead to Kidney stones and ensure moderate eating. According to Ayurveda Ragi is high in Calcium . Excess consumption can lead to Kidney stones. 2 to 3 tbsp of Ragi flour is safe to consume 3 times a week.
If you eliminate grains you tend to over eat other foods which could lead to more body fat. Consume half of all grains as whole grains. Grains are incomplete protein . They may not contain all essential amino acids. Mixing cereals and pulses increases the nutrition value . Mix with gram flour or soyabean flour to enhance the fiber and protein quality and lowers GI . Source : HM
Simple and easy recipe with 3 main Ingredients . Serve with Dal or Sambar or with Yogurt Curry. Here is the recipe .
NOTE : Serve warm . Don’t refrigerate and reheat .
Recipe for 4 Roti’s .
Preparation and Cooking time : 20 Minutes
1. Ragi flour – 1/2 Cup ( store bought)
2. Chickpea flour( Besan) – 1/4 th cup or Yellow Moong Dal flour
3. Wheat flour – Handful or Rice flour
4. Warm water – 1/4 th Cup
5. Oil – 2 tbsp
6. Rasam powder or sambar powder or Curry Powder – 1/2 to 1 tbsp
7. Ajwain – 1/4 th tbsp
9. Finely Chopped Onions , Grated Zucchini or Bottle Gourd( Lauki)
10 . Finely chopped Coriander
1. Mix Ragi flour with Chickpea flour , Wheat flour , Spices, Ajwain , 1 tbsp Oil , Salt, finely chopped Onions, Grated Zucchini or Lauki and Finely chopped Coriander .
2. Add water slowly and mix the flour like Chapathi dough .
3. No need to rest the dough , you can Prepare roti’s immediately .
4. Divide the dough into 4 equal portions . Shape them into ball by greasing your hand with little Oil. Cut the sides of Ziplock bag and grease with little Oil . Place the dough inside the Ziplock and press with your fingers . Cover with Ziplock and press with a round Bowl . So the roti will be even .
5. Heat a pan and fry the roti’s . Apply Oil when you flip .
SERVE WARM with Dal or Raita or any Vegetable Gravy .
RECIPE LINK FOR SPINACH MANGO DAL prepared with three Dals . Try my Version:
RECIPE LINK FOR CUCUMBER SESAME SEEDS PICKLE . It stays good for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator. Serve with any roti . Enhances the taste of the meal.