Kids Lunch Box – Spinach ( Palak) Masala Curry with Chickpeas and Potatoes .
What I like about this recipe is , it needs only 1 tbsp Oil , we can Prepare Masala ahead of time and refrigerate ( so I can pack Lunch Box in the morning without stress) , We can add lot of Spinach and it just gets wilt and kids won’t notice , We can add Chickpeas for Protein and Kids favorite Potato , taste good Warm or at room temperature ,Leftovers taste good for next day . Spinach is a Vibrant green colored vegetable which is edible from stem to leaf . Low calorie Vegetable that can be incorporated in any dish ( Dals, Salad , Curry , Pancakes , Cutlets etc) and a good source of Iron, Zinc , Vitamin A and C . Eating two cups of raw spinach provides recommended daily value of Vitamin A and k .
Here is the recipe : Different in preparation and taste. Cooking time less than 15 minutes and One pot to Clean . Prepare Tomato masala ahead of time as shown in the Picture and refrigerate.You are going to like the new taste of Spinach (Palak) Curry .
COOKING TIPS :
1. Cook Chickpeas and Potato and refrigerate .
2. Chop Onions and Spinach and refrigerate .
3. Prepare masala and refrigerate .
RECIPE for 3 to 4 People .
Preparation time : 15 minutes and Cooking time : 10 to 15 minutes
1. Spinach – 4 to 5 Big handfuls ( finely chopped)
2. Potatoes – 6
3. Chickpeas – 1 cup ( Cooked)
4. Oil – 1 tbsp
5. Salt and Turmeric
6. Tomato Masala paste – Dry roast – 10 Cashews , 1 tbsp Cumin seeds , 1 tbsp Coriander leaves . Cool and grind with 4 chopped TOMATOES , 2 tbsp Coconut , 4 Cloves of Garlic , Small piece of Ginger , 1/2 to 1 tbsp red chilli powder , 1/2 tbsp Pav Bhaji Masala Powder and Salt
7. Yogurt – 1/4 th Cup
8. Cumin seeds- 1 tbsp
9. Whole Garam Masala( Optional)
10 . Onion – 1 ( Grind Coarsely or finely chopped)
1. Soak 1/2 cup Chickpeas Overnight and Pressure cook with 1/2 cup water , little Salt and Potatoes for 4 to 5 Whistles . When Pressure comes down transfer to Bowl and discard the water .
2. Heat 1 tbsp Oil and add Cumin seeds followed by Onions.
3. Once Onions are Brown add Tomato Masala Paste . Cook for 7 to 8 Minutes on Medium flame . Stir in between to avoid burning.
4. After 7 Minutes add finely chopped Spinach ( Palak) , Cooked Chickpeas and Boiled Potato . Cook for 2 to 3 Minutes . Switch off the Stove .
5. Wait for 5 minutes and add Yogurt( Curd) . Mix well . Check for Salt and Spices and add accordingly .
PACK for KIDS LUNCH BOX with Plain Paratha or Serve with Phulka or paratha for LUNCH / DINNER .