I will be one happy mommy if my Kids bring their Lunch Box empty . At the same time I don’t want to spend too much time in the morning to prepare Kids Lunch Box . We all know our morning energy will be drained when waking up kids and pushing them to get ready for school . So I prepare easy Lunch which doesn’t need any attention . I try new recipes over the weekend and if kids are happy with the meal I prepared ,then I pack for Lunch in the following week . I added good amount of thinly sliced Cabbage and Kids will never notice in the rice. If your Kids doesn’t like cabbage or bored of eating Cabbage curry then definitely try this Cabbage Moong dal Biryani .
Our Saturday Lunch will be Biryani or Kichidi; I cook in Rice Cooker, so it is easy and there is no need to baby-sit and only one pot to Clean . In Rice cooker the Biryani or Kichidi will cook perfectly without Mushy and grains looks separated . This week for a variation I added Cabbage by frying for couple minutes in a tbsp Oil . It really tasted good with Onion and Tomato raita. Along with Cabbage I added some more Vegetables . I didn’t add any Biryani Masala Powder , Just Whole Garam Masala because my kids are not big fan of Masala Powder in Biryani. But without the Masala Powder , it turned out very very tasty . Whole Garam Masala just flavored the rice and its’ odor is non-existent when Kids open their Lunch Box . It is a simple Biryani recipe that any body in your family can Cook ( Dad and Older Kids).
Recipe for 3 to 4 People with raita and salad.
Preparation time : 10 Minutes and Cooking time : 15 minutes
Recipe for ONION TOMATO RAITA :
To 2 Cups of Yogurt( curd) add One chopped tomato , Salt , finely Chopped Onions and Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves . Heat 1 tbsp Oil and add Cumin seeds . Cool the seasoning and add to curd( Yogurt) . Check for salt and add accordingly .
1. Measure rice and Yellow moong Dal and store in a Box . Gather whole garam masala and store in a box.
2. Chop Vegetables and refrigerate .
3. Prepare Onion Tomato raita and refrigerate .
4. Morning just add vegetables to Rice and Moong dal, pan fried cabbage and Tadka and Cook in Rice Cooker .
1. Basmati rice – 1 Cup and Water – 2 cups
2. Yellow Moong Dal – 1/2 cup
3. Cabbage – Medium ( thinly sliced)
4. Oil – 3 tbsp and Ghee – 1 tbsp
6. Carrots – 5 ( sliced ) , Potato – 2 ( Cubed)
7. Tomatoes – 2 ( diced)
8. Grated Ginger and Grated Garlic – 1 tbsp each
9. Finely Chopped Coriander and Mint leaves
10 . Whole Garam Masala – 1 tbsp Cumin seeds , 5 Cloves , 2 Cardamom, Cinnamon stick – 2 small , Bay leaf – 2
11. Biryani Masala( Optional)
1. Soak Rice and Moongdal for 15 to 20 minutes . Wash 3 to 4 times . Transfer to Rice Cooker . Add 2 Cups Water and season with Salt. Taste the water for Salt and add accordingly .
2 . Add chopped tomato , Cubed Potato, Carrots, Finely chopped Coriander and Mint Leaves .
3 . Fry thinly sliced Cabbage with one Tbsp oil for Couple of minutes and transfer to Rice Cooker.
4. Heat Oil and Ghee and add Whole Garam Masala , Crushed Garlic and ginger . Transfer to Rice cooker. Mix gently . Add Biryani Masala .
5. Cover with lid and it will takes less than 15 minutes to Cook .
Serve with ONION TOMATO RAITA or pack for KIDS LUNCH BOX with Yogurt Raita .