Red rice Poha with green Moong for Breakfast/Lunch/ Dinner/Kids Lunch Box
is a One pot meal prepared with Red rice Poha , Green Moong and Vegetables. It is quick meal to prepare if you have Cooked Green Moong . Don’t over cook the Green Moong , otherwise it will get mushy . If you are planning for next day meal , cook day before and refrigerate . We like Green Moong in Curries, Pancakes ,Dosa and in Salads as sprouts. The cooked Green Moong adds nice sweet taste along with Spicy bite from Green Cillies and Ginger. At the end you can squeeze Juice of Lime or add Grated raw mango as Mangoes are in season. No need of side if you add Vegetables.
Red rice is the special variety of rice found mostly in southern eastern coastal regions of South America. High in fiber because of the bran and contains Vitamin B6. One serving of Red rice can meet 23 percent of Vitamin B6. Vitamin B6 helps the body make melatonin which is important in helping regulate internal clock .Getting Vitamin B6 through food is better alternative. B vitamins are important for healthy hair , skin , eyes and liver. B complex vitamins play an important role in converting food into energy and helps body metabolize fats and protein. High in fiber making them effective for weight management and reduction of bad cholesterol . Red rice is considered as a great meal option for Diabetics as it promotes slow release of sugar in the blood stream . Good source of Iron . 100 grams of raw Red flakes contains 20 grams of Iron . Squeeze juice of Lime on Poha as it helps improve Iron absorption. It also keeps you full for longer time and helps you decrease the desire to eat. Source : HM
Here is Simple recipe with 5 main Ingredients and takes less than 10 minutes to Cook if you do the preparation ahead of time.
1. Red rice Poha or Poha( flattened rice) of your Choice – 1 Measuring cup
2. Cooked Green Moong – One measuring cup ( Raw – 1/2 Cup)
3. Vegetables – Onions , Green Beans and Carrots .
4. Green Chillies – 2 ( Mild or Zero spicy ) -2 and Chopped Ginger
5. Curry Leaves and Chopped Coriander
6. Juice of Lime – 1/2 or Grated raw mango
7. Oil – 2 tbsp
8. Salt and Turmeric – /14 th tbsp , Curry powder or Rasam Powder or Sambar powder and Puligore Powder
9. Cumin seeds , Mustard seeds – 1/2 tbsp , Urad dal – 1 tbsp , Channa dal – 1 tbsp , Red chilli – 2
10 .Pistachio’s – Handful ( Optional)
1. Soak Green Moong whole night . Next day morning wash and Pressure cook with very little water , Salt for One or two Whistles. You can use immediately or refrigerate and use for next day Cooking .
Wash Red rice poha for 3 to 4 times. No need to Soak .
2. Chop Vegetables , Green chillies , Ginger and Grate raw mango .
3. Heat 2 tbsp Oil and add Channa Dal followed by Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, Urad dal , Red chillies , Curry leaves , Chopped green chillies , ginger and Onions. Once Onions are light brown add Green Beans , Carrots . Season with salt. Cover and Cook until Vegetables are soft .
4. Once Vegetables are soft add Cooked Green Moong , Washed red rice Poha , Rasam powder and Puligore Powder . Mix gently .
5. Squeeze juice of Lime or Grated raw mango and Chopped Coriander. Check for salt and spices and add accordingly. Add handful of Pistachio’s .
SERVE for BREAKFAST / LUNCH/ DINNER or Pack for Kids Lunch Box