Sweet Potato Moong Dal Rasam
is a staple in every South Indian House hold. I prepare Rasam atleast twice or thrice in a week whether with Dal or Plain. Sometimes we eat it with Steamed rice or as a side for Lunch/ Dinner. Even I pack for Kids Lunch Box . I prepare Rasam in two ways either with Moong dal or Combination of different Dals. When ever I cook Dal , I cook extra to prepare Rasam . Last time I shared Raw mango moong Dal Rasam . This time I tried with Sweet Potato. My family didin’t notice there is Sweet Potato in the Rasam . Rasam Powder and Curry powder , Lime juice or Raw mango will Supress the sweetness of Sweet Potato . You can even add Lauki( Green Squash ) and Optional . Add Spinach too for extra nutrition .
Serve with Steamed rice , Ghee and Microwave Papad . Yo don’t feel like eating anymore food after eating this Rasam rice . It is filling. And easy to prepare in Minimum time .
Note : I added Garlic twice .Frying with Onions and with Tadka( seasoning) for extra flavor and taste. You can squeeze juice of Lime or Grated raw mango or Both When you switch off the stove.
Recipe for 4 People .
Preparation and Cooking time : 30 minutes
1. Cooked Yellow Moong Dal – 1 Cup
2. Sweet Potato – 1 ( Cooked and Mashed )
3. Onion – 1 medium ( Chopped)
4. Tomatoes – 2 ( Chopped) and Spinach ( Palak) – 4 handfuls ( Chopped)
5. Garlic cloves – 8
6. Ginger – Small Piece ( Chopped and Crushed )
7. Rasam powder – 1/2 tbsp to 1 tbsp Store bought or Homemade ( Roast 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds , Coriander seeds, Fenugreek seeds – 5 , Black pepper cons and red chillies . Cool the spices and grind with 1 tbsp coconut)
and Curry Powder – 1/2 tbsp ( Blend of Red chilli powder , Coriander and Cumin powder , Garlic cloves and fresh coriander)
8. Oil – 2 tbsp and Ghee – 1 tbsp
9. Seasoning – Black split rad dal – 1 tbsp , Cumin and Mustard seeds – 1/2 tbsp each , Red chillies – 2 and Hing – Pinch
10 . Juice of Lime – Half or Grated raw mango
11. Chopped Coriander and Curry leaves
1. Heat 1 tbsp Oil and cook Onions until light brown . Season with Salt and Turmeric Powder. Add curry Leaves. Once Onions are brown add 4 crushed Garlic cloves , Chopped and Crushed Ginger . Fry for couple of minutes .
2. Add Chopped tomatoes and cook until soft . Then add Rasam Powder , Curry Powder , Cooked Moong dal , Cooked and Mashed Sweet potato, Chopped Spinach and Water . Mix well .
3. Bring to boil .
4. Heat Oil and Ghee and add Mustard seeds followed by SPLIT BLACK URAD DAL , Cumin seeds , Hing , Red chillies and 4 Crushed and Chopped GARLIC . Add this Seasoning to Rasam . Add Chopped Coriander.
5. Cool a little bit and Squeeze Juice of Lime. Check for Salt and Spices and add accordingly .
Note : If you are using store bought Rasam Powder then add 1/2 tbsp Freshly ground Black pepper.
Serve Warm with Steamed Rice or as a side for Lunch / Dinner .
Good to Read :
1. Sweet Potatoes – Both Sweet potato and White potato contain same amount of Carbohydrates . But the fiber content in sweet potato is higher and easy to digest and lower in GI . Good source of Vitamin D which helps build healthy bones. The powerful antioxidants in Sweet potato protects against the effects of aging.
2. Ginger and Garlic – Helps in digestion ,helps in fighting infections,preven cancer and reduce inflammation.
3. MoongDal – Light and easy to digest . If cooked with Basmatic rice or eaten with Chapathi ( Bread prepared with Wheat flour or Mixed floursor Jowar flour or Bajra) , you will have yourself a complete Protein with all your essential amino acids. They have a low GI of just 30 which means they offers a slow release of energy into the blood stream due to the slow breakdown of CARBOHYDRATES . ( Foods are considered to have a Low GI if their value is less than 55 on a scale of 0 – 100 )
4. Black pepper – The piperine in Black pepper eases digestion and helps digest Protein in food.
5. Lime Juice : Stimulates digestive system and increase secretion of digestive juices , bile and acids.