Mango Moong Dal Rasam .
Today I prepared Moong Dal Rasam for Lunch . I prepare different types of Rasam but never tried Mango Moong Dal Rasam . It turned out delicious. Do try and Share your feedback with me. For any Rasam recipe I squeeze Juice of Lime at the end or use tamarind. . Thought I will try with Mango instead of Lime Juice. It is a Keep sake recipe. I remember My mother use to dry out Mango Pieces in Summer and store in a Box and use whole year in Dals and Curries instead of Lime Juice. But here , I buy Raw mangoes in Indian store in Spring and Summer. We love mangoes( Raw or Ripe) . I need to try more recipes with Mango. I shared Raw mango Chutney with Coconut and Spices. You can find the recipe link at the end .The Leftover rasam will taste good for next day . I prepared for 2 days. No Cooking tomorrow . I added Home made Rasam Powder . The speciality of this Rasam powder is I added Sesame seeds . Surprise, it tasted good . As I don’t want to Cook one more Curry so I added Carrots , but it is not Sweet .It is a One Pot Meal . Even I added Tomatoes , but it is not too Sour. Here is a Simple Rasam recipe .
Recipe for 5 .
Preparation and Cooking time : 15 Minutes
1. Cooked Moong Dal – 1 Cup ( Measuring Cup) raw – 1/2 Cup( Soak Yellow Moong Dal for 15 minutes and Pressure or Cook in Microwave)
2. Onion – 1 Medium ( Chopped)
3. Tomatoes – 2 ( Chopped)
4. Raw Mango Pieces – 1 Measuring Cup ( Chopped)
4. Baby Carrots – 10( chopped)
5. HOMEMADE RASAM POWDER –
Dry Roast 1 tbsp Sesame seeds , 1/2 tbsp Cumin seeds , 1/2 tbsp Coriander seeds, Red chillies – 2 , Black pepper cons , Mustard seeds – 1/4 th tbsp . Cool the Spices and grind with 2 tbsp dry Coconut, 3 Cloves Garlic and small piece of Ginger .
6. Salt and Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp
7. Oil – 2 tbsp and Ghee – 1 tbsp
8. Seasoning – Cumin seeds, Mustard seeds , Urad dal , Red chillies and Hing
9. Curry Leaves and Coriander Leaves
1. Grind Chopped Carrots in a Blender with 1/2 Cup water . Then add Cooked Moong Dal , Salt, Turmeric , red chilli Powder and 1/2 cup water and Blend .
2. Transfer to a Sauce Pan .
3. To this add chopped Onions, Chopped tomatoes , Curry Leaves and Homemade Rasam Powder.
4 Grind Chopped Mango pieces with little Water and add to the Rasam. Bring to Boil .
5. Once it comes to Boil , switch off the stove.
6. Heat Oil and Ghee and add Mustard seeds followed by Cumin seeds, Black Urad dal , Hing and Red chillies.
7.Add this Seasoning to Rasam. Add chopped Coriander . Check for Salt and Spices and add accordingly .
SERVE as a side for Lunch/ Dinner or with STEAMED RICE.
Note : I didn’t fry Onions Separately . This way it will taste good . You can even prepare everything and add Seasoning , refrigerate . Bring to boil before you serve .
Recipe link for RAW MANGO CHUTNEY :