Kids Lunch Box recipe – Masala Roti with Quinoa flour , Mixed Beans and Coriander .
Masala Roti is a Simple roti recipe prepared with 5 Ingredients. I prepared the roti with Usal mix ( Mixed Beans) . Instead of preparing Curry with Cooked Beans I mixed with flours and Spices. Need to pack for KIDS LUNCH BOX. This way I don’t need to worry they will bring back the food. They are Soft, Moist and tasty when served Warm or at Room temperature. Since the Weather is getting Warmer , need to Cool the body with Yogurt. So I prepared Carrot Raita ( Carrot with Yogurt) to go along with Masala Roti . Prepare Carrot Raita night before and refrigerate . It will come to room temperature by Lunch time. In some parts of the World it is Summer Vacation for Kids .
This is Quick fix meal and easy recipe for Mom’s as it is difficult to spend time in the Kitchen because of Warm temperatures. Quinoa is a 7000 year old grain that Originated in the mountainous region of South America. Since it is highly nutritious food the United Nations declared 2013 as the year for Quinoa. It is an excellent addition to a diabetic diet with low GI to support an even blood sugar . It is a Whole Grain packed with Protein , fiber, Vitamins and Minerals. Good source of Calcium , Iron , magnesium when compared to other grains. About 80 percent of people have a magnesium deficiency resulting in Chronic leg cramps , Muscle pain , Insomnia and anxiety .
It is easy to prepare Quinoa flour at home. Just toast Quinoa in a skillet , Cool and grind into a fine powder. Interesting about Quinoa. It is not recommended consuming Quinoa as your primary protein. One cup of Quinoa provides 220 calories and 8 grams of Protein with significant amount of Calories and Carbohydrates. One large egg contains about 8 grams of Protein with 80 Calories and no Carbohydrates. Always try to eat many different sources of PROTEIN and enjoy Quinoa as a nutritional boost to your diet. Source : Health Magazines . Here is the recipe with 5 ingredients.
1. Quinoa flour and Wheat flour – 2 Cups or accordingly Note : You can try with more of Quinoa flour. As I tried for first time I used both Quinoa flour and Wheat flour .
or 2 Cups Wheat flour ( If you don’t find quinoa flour ) or 1 1/2 Cup Jowar flour and 1/2 cup Wheat flour or Rice flour .
2. Cooked Mixed Beans – 1 Cup ( Grind with 1/2 cup Water , Green Chillies – 2 and Small Piece of Ginger ) or Use Potato Masher and Mash the Beans and add 1/2 cup Water , Green chilli Paste and Grated ginger .
3. Chopped Coriander -1/2 Bunch
4. Sambar Powder or Rasam Powder or Curry Powder – 1 tbsp , Salt – Accordingly Curry Powder ( Blend of Red chilli powder , Coriander and Cumin powder, Garlic and fresh Coriander)
5. Oil – 2 tbsp for Pan frying Roti’s .
1. Grind Cooked Beans with 1/2 cup water, Green chillies ,Salt and Small piece of Ginger. Transfer to a Bowl . or Mash the Beans with Potato Masher and add water, Green chilli paste , Grated ginger and salt .
2. Add Finely Chopped Coriander, Curry Powder or SAMBAR Powder . Mix well .
3. Slowly add the flours and mix like a Chapathi dough . Do not add water.
4. Grease your hand with little Oil and divide the dough into 10 equal Parts.
5. You can prepare roti directly in a Pan or roll on the board
5. Cook on a medium flame and drizzle Oil when you flip .
SERVE with CARROT RAITA.
RECIPE for CARROT RAITA :
1. Heat 1 tbsp Oil and add Cumin seeds followed chopped tomato. Season with Salt and Turmeric and cook until soft .
2. Then add Grated carrot and Sambar powder . Mix gently and switch off the stove. Cool before adding to Yogurt( Curd) .
3. Once the vegetable is Cooled add 2 Cups Yogurt and Finely chopped Coriander , Mint and Curry Leaves .
NOTE : Cook the tomato in the Microwave for Couple of minutes . ( 1 + 1 minute) . Cool and Peel the skin and chop finely .( Optional)