Mixed Dal Idli with Brown Basmati rice or Daliya or Quinoa and Vegetable Upma with Mixed Dal Idli. – Kids Lunch Box
Mixed Dal Dosa is a very very Old recipe of Mine( 10 Years) . I came up with recipe when my Kids are small . I mixed different DALS and prepare Dosa or Small Uttapam ‘s for BREAKFAST , so my Kids can self feed and sometimes it comes in handy for Lunch/Dinner when I don’t have time to Cook Vegetables. Later I tried with Cracked Wheat( Daliya) Mixed Dal Dosa with Daliya and Mixed Dal Dosa with Quinoa. With the same batter I even prepare Idli . I keep postponing to post Mixed Dal Idli . . This time I took Pictures to share the recipe. I ferment the batter , so Idli’s are Soft and Fluffy without adding ENO or Baking soda . Recipe is for 24 medium Idli’s. First day we had with Vegetable sambar. I cooked extra to prepare Vegetable Idli Upma for Kids Lunch Box. It taste like Lime Rice. We like eating Lime rice with Yogurt. So I packed with Yogurt.
Protein is one of the 3 macro nutrients your body needs to function properly( along with fats and Carbohydrates). Our body needs 22 different types of amino acids to function properly . 13 are non essential amino acids( within the body) and 9 are essential amino acids must be obtained from food. These essential amino acids derive the classification of Protein as either Complete or Incomplete.
Complete protein comes from both animal based (like meat , fish , diary and eggs) and plant based ( Quinoa , Buck wheat , Hemp and Chia seeds) . Nuts and seeds , Legumes , Grains and Vegetables are considered incomplete Protein. They need to combine to provide the right balance of essential amino acids like Rice and Beans , Hummus with Whole grain pita etc.Protein in Combination make a Complete amino acid profile are known as Complementary Protein .
Here is the Mixed Dal Idli recipe with 5 Ingredients. Soak for 4 hours, Grind ( it will take 5 Minutes) and ferment Overnight . Enjoy these Soft and fluffy Idli’s with coconut Chutney or Vegetable Sambar . Left over Idli’s transform into a Tasty Lunch Box recipe.
If you like Mango rice or Lemon rice , try this HEALTHY VERSION prepared with LENTILS .
Pack Vegetable Idli Upma prepared with Mixed Dal Idli for Kids Lunch Box with Yogurt( Curd) . My kids liked the combination of Veggies with little sour taste from Lime or Raw mango , Soft bite of Crumbled Idli and little crunch from Peanuts and Cashews.
Recipe for 24 Medium Idli’s :
1. Brown Basmati Rice or Daliya or quinoa – 1 Cup
2. Urad dal – 1/2 Cup
3. Green Moong Dal – 1/4 th Cup
4. Yellow Moong Dal – 1/4 th Cup
5. Channa Dal – 1/4 th cup
6. Fenugreek seeds- 1/2 tbsp
Grind with sufficient Water and Ferment Overnight .
1. Grease Idli plates with little Oil . Take big spoonful of Batter and pour in each mould. 2. Pressure cook without Whistle for 12 to 13 minutes .
3. When Pressure Comes down remove Idli Plates form Pressure cooker.
4. Remove Idli with Wet steel Spoon .
5. Serve SOFT and Fluffy IDLI’S with Coconut Chutney or Vegetable Sambar.
1. Mixed Vegetable Idli’s – 8 ( Crumbled)
2. Vegetables – Finely chopped ( Carrots, Peas, Green Beans , Onions) – 2 Cups
3. Sprouts – 1/2 Cup(Optional) or Cooked Green Peas
4. Juice of Lime – 1 /2 or accordingly or Grated Raw mango
5. Curry Leaves and Finely chopped Coriander Leaves
6. Roasted Peanuts and Cashews – Handful each
7. Oil – 2 to 3 tbsp
8. Seasoning – Channa Dal – 2 tbsp ,Black split Urad dal – 1 tbsp , Cumin seeds and Mustard seeds- 1 tbsp , Broken Red chillies.
9. Salt and Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp
10 .Sambar Powder – 1/2 tbsp , Chopped Green chillies – 2 and Chopped Ginger – 1 tbsp
1. Heat Oil and add Channa Dal followed by Mustard seeds, Black Split Urad dal , Cumin seeds and Red chillies.
2. Add Onions, Curry Leaves and finely chopped Vegetables . season with salt and Turmeric.
3. Once Vegetables are soft Switch off the Stove and add Crumbled Idli , Chopped Coriander , Sambar Powder , Chopped Green chillies , Chopped Ginger, Roasted Peanuts and Cashews.
4. Squeeze Juice of Lime . Mix gently .
5. Check for Salt and Spices and add accordingly .