Ragi Vegetable Upma with Daliya(Cracked Wheat) or Semolina
You may not like eating just Ragi . To make Ragi taste good is to add ingredients that will flavor it and you will look forward eating it on a regular basis . This is the first time I prepared Upma with Ragi Vermicelli . So I added Daliya along with ragi Vermicelli . My kids may react to the color of Ragi Vermicelli . That is the reason I added daliya or Semolina. Next time I prepared with Semolina( sooji) and Ragi Vermicelli . Both combinations tasted good. We like Upma for any meal. It is One pot meal that we can prepare with every day Ingredients and lot of Vegetables. Add Peanuts and Cashews for little Crunchy taste and Vegetables . So no need for side . For little spicy bite add Green chillies and ginger . Don’t forget to squeeze Juice of Lime at the end. Here is the Simple Recipe with everyday Ingredients.
Serve for BREAKFAST/LUNCH/DINNER
Recipe for 3 to 4 People .
Preparation and Cooking time : 30 minutes
One cup – Measuring cup
1. Ragi Vermicelli – 1/2 cup
2. Daliya( cracked wheat ) or Semolina( sooji) – 1/2 cup
3. Water – 3 to 3/1 2 cups
4. Onion – medium( Chopped)
5. Potatoes – 2 small ( Chopped)
6. Tomatoes – 2 chopped , Carrots – chopped and Green peas
7. Green chillies – 2 ( Chopped) and ginger – small piece ( chopped)
10 . Curry Leaves and finely chopped Coriander Leaves
11. Seasoning – Channa Dal – 2 tbsp ,Black split Urad dal – 1 tbsp , Cumin and Mustard seeds – 1/2 tbsp and red chillies -2
12 . Juice of Lime – 1/2
13. Roasted Peanuts and Cashew nuts – Handful each .
1. Heat 1 tbsp Oil and roast Daliya ( Cracked Wheat) or Semolina( Sooji) for 2 to 3 minutes . Transfer to a Bowl .
2. Heat Oil and add Channa Dal , followed by Black split Urad dal , Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds , Red chillies , Green Chillies , Ginger and Curry leaves.
3. Add Onions , Potato and Chopped Carrot and Green peas . Cook until light Brown and soft .
4. Add Chopped tomatoes and Cook for couple of minutes .
5. Add Water and season water with Salt . Bring to Boil . Taste Water for Salt and add accordingly .
6. Slowly add Semolina and Ragi Vermicelli and mix well without Lumps. Cover and Cook . I f needed add Oil .
7. Switch off the stove and add Chopped Coriander, Roasted Peanuts and Cashews.
8. Cool little bit and squeeze Juice of Lime .