Bajra Masala Roti for Breakfast/Kids Lunch Box / Lunch/Dinner with Instant Zucchini Sambar
We eat Plain Bajra roti for Lunch / Dinner with Vegetable Curry . Tried for Breakfast by adding few ingredients. No need of side . They taste good on their own as the roti’s are prepared with Spices . Or serve with Tomato Raita . It is easy for Kids to eat with Yogurt. My kids liked the taste and asked to pack for LUNCH BOX . Packed with Instant Sambar. I shared the recipe for Instant Sambar at the end of the Post. After eating for Breakfast and packing for Kids Lunch Box I still have 3 Roti’s left . I wrapped in a Paper towel and store in a Box in the refrigerator. I ate for Dinner by warming 30 seconds Wrapped in Paper towel . They are Soft and tasty . Here is the recipe for 15 medium Roti’s . No need to rest the Dough . Mix and Prepare Roti’s .
Recipe for 15 medium Roti’s .
Preparation and Cooking time – 30 minutes
Recipe for TOMATO RAITA:
Heat tbsp Oil and add 1/2 tbsp Cumin seeds. Then add Chopped tomato. Season with Salt and Pinch of Turmeric Powder . Mix and cook until tomatoes are nice and soft. Add 1/2 tbsp Curry Powder .Cool before adding to 1 Cup Yogurt. Add finely chopped Coriander Leaves . Mix well . Check for Salt and Spices and add accordingly . You can even add Green chilli paste and Grated ginger.
1. Bajra flour – 1 Measuring Cup
2. Rice flour or Wheat flour – Handful
3. Grated Zucchini or Bottle Gourd ( Lauki) – 1
4. Grated Carrots – 1/2 Cup
5. Yellow Moong Dal – 1/2 Cup ( Raw ) ( Soaked and Washed)
6. Chopped Onion
7. Chopped Coriander
8. Green Chilli paste , Grated Ginger, Rasam powder or Samabr powder or Curry Powder( Blend of Red chilli powder, Coriander and Cumin powder , Garlic and fresh Coriander) and Salt
9. Oil – 1 tbsp for Pan frying
10 .Water – 1/4 th Cup or accordingly
1. Mix Bajra flour , Rice flour or Wheat flour, Soaked and Washed Yellow Moong Dal , Grated Zucchini or Bottle Gourd ( Lauki) , Grated Carrots , Chopped Onion , Chopped Coriander , Salt, Green chilli paste , Grated ginger and Curry powder by adding water slowly . The dough should look like Chapathi dough.
2. No need to rest the dough . Divide the dough into 15 equal portions . Grease your hand with little Oil and shape them like a ball .
3. Heat a wide Pan on Medium Heat .
4. Cut the sides of a Ziplock bag and place the dough ball inside. Flatten with your fingers and cover with Ziplock and press with a round Bowl for even and round roti.
5. Slowly slide the Roti on to Warm Pan . Drizzle Oil on each roti . Pan fry till light Brown .
Serve warm with Instant Zucchini or Bottle gourd(Lauki) Sambar .
Recipe for INSTANT ZUCHHINI or BOTTLE GOURD9LAUKI) SAMBAR.
1. Heat 1 tbsp Oil and fry Onions , Carrots( 10) and thinly sliced Potato( 2 medium)
. 2. Once Vegetables are half cooked add Chopped Zucchini and Yellow Bottle Gourd( 1 each) . Season with Salt , Pinch of turmeric and add 1 tbsp Sambar Powder.
3. Add Tamarind Juice ,Jaggery Powder and Water.
4. Bring to Boil.
5. Mix 2 tbsp of Chickpea flour in Water and add to the Sambar . Cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Switch off the stove and add Tadka and Chopped Coriander Leaves ( Tadka – Heat 1 tbsp Oil and 1/2 tbsp Ghee and add Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, Urad dal , Red chillies, Hing , Curry Leaves and chopped Garlic( 4 cloves) .