If you cook Ridge gourd regularly , then do try this recipe.It is a new recipe you can try for Lunch /Dinner. It is simple and easy to Prepare . Prepare Pakora and serve with Yogurt Curry . There are number of recipes to Cook with Ridge gourd. In Dal , Chutney , Stuffed and Curry . This is a new variation you can try for any meal or just for Snacking without Grains. Use medium thin Ridge gourd for fast Cooking.
Ridge Gourd is extremely rich in fiber and contains few Calories ( 40 Calories per cup) and digest slowly and keep you full . It contains insulin like Peptident that lowers and balances Blood Sugar . This amazing gourd is good detoxifying agent for the liver, blood and other tissues of the body . Our immune system works properly when toxins are removed from the body. Vey high in moisture content just like Cucumber and low in calories.with 20 per 1/2 cup sering and has high in Beta Carotene that is good for eyes. As it is low CALORIES it is good for Diabetic People when cooked with minimum Oil . Ayurveda has credited Ridgegourd a special status for delivering many Health Benefits because of its bountiful of minerals that are alkaline and hence considered as bringing a cooling effect on the human body .
Yogurt is Versatile and can be used in anything. Adding Vegetables will boost the fiber and your daily nutrients intake and promotes Healthy digestion. It can help you loose weight as it is lower in saturated fat and has more Calcium and Protein as well as probiotic for digestion . Health beneficial bacteria that live in your digestive tract and help crowd out harmful microorganisms that can cause intestinal infections. Pair up Vegetables which are naturally low in fat and Calories . Fiber in Vegetables help Provide a feeling of fullness with few Calories. Source : Health Magazines
Recipe for 4 .
Preparation and Cooking time : 30 minutes
1. Chickpea flour and Rice flour – 1/2 cup
2. Ridge gourd – 3 ( Medium and thin)
3. Red chilli powder , Coriander and Cumin powder – 1/2 to 1 tbsp
5. Ajwain – 1/2 tbsp
6. Oil – 1 to 2 tbsp for Panfrying.
1.Mix Chickpea flour , rice flour with Curry Powder ( Blend of Red chilli powder , Coriander and Cumin Powder , Garlic and Fresh Coriander) or Spices of Your Choice, Salt , Ajwain . Add Water slowly and make a thick batter so that it will coat the vegetable .
Note : You can even Season ridge gourd with Spices before dipping in Batter .
2 . Heat a wide Pan and grease with Oil .
3. Peel the ridges of ridge Gourd and if the skin is not too thick , no need to peel the skin . Cut 2 Inch thick Circles .
4. Dip Ridge gourd Pieces in the Chickpea flour Batter and place them in a single layer . Cover and cook for 2 to 3 Minutes on each side . Drizzle Oil when you flip.
1. Heat 1 tbsp Oil and add 1 tbsp Cumin seeds and Chopped tomatoes .Cook until soft ( 2 chopped tomatoes ) . Season with Salt , Turmeric Powder and 1/2 tbsp Curry Powder or Rasam Powder and Curry Leaves . Cool before adding to Yogurt
2. Once Cooled add Cooked Tomato to Yogurt . Check for Salt and Spices and adjust accordingly . Add finely chopped Coriander Leaves . You can add Coconut( Grind handful of Coconut with Green chilli and small piece of Ginger) for extra taste and flavor
SERVE the Yogurt Curry with Ridge gourd Pakora.