Bite size Breakfast with Black eyed Beans
Kids are at home for Summer Vacation. So I can prepare Breakfast leisurely and no need to pack Lunch Box( Only those days when they go for Summer activities) . We like Black eyed Beans just for snacking or in Salads or in Curry . To prepare these Bite sized Breakfast ( It is helpful for Moms if you have toddlers they can self feed with a fork) I cooked Black eyed Beans and Potato day before and chopped Vegetables and refrigerated. Even though it is Summer vacation I don’t feel like Cooking from scratch in the morning. We go for Morning walk or to Playground ( Only 2 months it will be warm) . Like to do Preparation day before when ever I’m free. Kids liked these for Breakfast as it is a change from regular Idli, Dosa and Uttapam( I never get bored eating Uttapam for Morning Breakfast. Easy to prepare and filling till Lunch time) . Need to add flour or Oats otherwise it is difficult to shape them and also the patties will be Crispy . It is Optional if you are able to shape them. Do try these easy and tasty Breakfast bites and Share your experience with me by commenting.
Black eyed Beans are good source of Protein , Iron and Fiber. Half cup of Black eyed Beans is generally less than 100 Calories and contains 1 g of fat, 6.7 g of protein . Low Iron leads to fatigue and Weakness. High fiber keeps you feeling full and digested slowly which is important for weight loss.Good source of essential nutrient Zinc. The body needs Zinc to make Protein and DNA the genetic material in cells.It also helps wounds to heal and helps immune system fight off invading bacteria and viruses.
I add Green chillies , Garlic and Ginger in all my recipes. Not only adds flavor but helps in digestion. These spices will wake up your taste buds and give your meal a distinct flavor and your health a variety of benefits. Some studies suggest that ginger could naturally improve diabetes and enhance insulin sensitivity by suppressing sorbitol accumulation in human blood cells. It also contains dozens of the most potent inflammation fighting substance called gingerols . Because of this , many people use it to treat arthritis and as a natural pain killer.Ginger is a super food that shouldn’t be overlooked . It not only spice the dish but promote hair growth , help with pain and lower the risk for diabetes.
Potatoes are easy to digest and good for those who cannot digest hard food. Eating Potato or any type of Carbohydrate rich food won’t make you fat , but be careful what you pair it up ( Butter and Sour cream are high in fat) . Each potato has only 110 calories making it a great choice to maintain a Healthy weight. Because potatoes have high GI INdex doesn’t mean they are unhealthy . No fat , sodium or Cholesterol and has half of your daily value of vitamin C . Good source of Vitamin B6 and has more potassium than banana’s . Damaged Potatoes, Green potatoes and sprouts contains poisonous chemicals that cannot be destroyed by Cooking.Potatoes make a good addition to any weight loss diet. Source : Health Magazines
Preparation and Cooking time : 30 Minutes
You need only tbsp Oil for Cooking these Patties. Serve with Ketchup .
1. Cooked Blackeyed Beans – 1 Measuring Cup ( Mash with Potato Masher)
2. Boiled and Crumbled Potato ( White or Sweet Potato) – 2 Medium
3. Chopped Onion – 1/2 Cup , Grated Carrot – 1/2 Cup , Chopped Green Beans – 1 cup ( Cooked)
4. Green Chilli Paste – 1 tbsp ( mild spicy) , Grated Garlic( 4 Cloves) and Grated Ginger( small Piece )
5. Curry Powder – 3/4 th tbsp or accordingly ( Blend of Red chilli Powder, Coriander and Cumin Powder, Garlic and fresh Coriander)
6. Salt and Turmeric – Pinch
7. Oil – 1 tbsp
8. Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
9. Chopped Coriander n Mint Leaves
10. Rice flour ( White or Brown rice flour) – 4 tbsp ( Store bought) or Oats – 1/4 th Cup
1. Mix Mashed Black eyed beans ,Mashed Potato , Chopped Onion , Chopped Green Beans, Grated Carrots, Green chilli paste , Grated ginger , Curry Powder, Rice flour or Oats , Salt , Chopped Coriander and Mint leaves without water. If needed add little water.
2. Check for Salt and Spices and adjust accordingly .
3.. Divide into 24 equal Portions or 12 equal Portions.
4. Wet your hand with little water and shape them like Patties( One inch thick).
5. Heat a wide pan with Oil and Pan fry them on Both sides till Golden Brown .