Batata Vada ( Potato Vada) – Not Deep Fried
Batata vada ( Potato vada) is a popular street food in India. Instead of Deep frying Potato vada I pan fried them . Potato vada or Batata vada is prepared with Mashed Potatoes and Spices . I added some Cooked Beans to the filling for a Healthy version. The Batter is prepared with Chickpea flour ,Rice flour and Spices. No need to add any Baking soda to the Batter. The same batter I use to prepare Vegetable Pakora( Not deep fried Version) and they always turn out Crispy . So used the same Batter for Batata vada. The Batata vada is Crispy with a tasty filling. You can eat them with Onion Salad or with Pav. Drizzle some Coriander n Mint chutney , Dates and tamarind Chutney and Garlic Chutney Powder on the PAV and Place the Batata vada and Serve with Pan fried Green chillies. Actually Batata vada is round in shape , as I’m Pan frying them I shaped the filling like a Patty , so they will cook evenly on both sides.
One medium Potato with skin provides 620 milligrams or 18 percent of the recommended daily value of potasssium and is considered one of the best foods with Potassium . Potassium helps lower Blood pressure. Excellent source of Vitamin C and B6.Deficiency of Vitamin B6 are cracked lips, Confusion and inflammed tongue . Foods high in Vitamin B6 are Whole grains , Beans , Nuts , Potatoes and Banana . Potato has 110 calories making it a great choice to maintain a Healthy weight ( Eat in moderation) . They are high in carbs. Wrong to eat is with Cream, butter , Stuffed with cheese. There is nothing wrong to eat a Boiled potato . Pair up with Beans , Veggies and Spices gives you more even flow of energy than a lone Potato .No fat, sodium or Cholesterol . More potassium than a Banana .
NOTE : You need Less than 2 tbsp Oil to pan fry the Batata vada and 1 tbsp Oil for the filling. Here is the Simple and tasty Batata vada recipe that you can enjoy any day without using too much Oil .
Recipe for 7 Patties .
Preparation and Cooking time – 30 minutes
FOR PATTIES :
1. Potatoes – 3
2. Onion – 1/2 Cup
3. Ginger and Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp and Green chilli Paste – 1 tbsp
4. Seasoning – Black Split urad dal – 1 tbsp , Mustard seeds and Cumin seeds- 1/2 tbsp
5. Oil – 2 tbsp
6. Black Channa and Blackeyed Beans – One cup ( Cooked and Mashed)
7. Red chilli powder , Coriander and Cumin Powder – 1 tbsp , Dry Mango Powder – 1/2 tbsp or Juice of Half Lime
8. Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves and Curry Leaves
1. Heat 2 tbsp Oil and Splutter Mustard seeds followed by Cumin and Coriander seeds , Curry leaves , Green chilli paste , Ginger and Garlic Paste . Fry for Couple of Minutes and add chopped Onions.
2. Once Onions are brown add Mashed Potatoes , Mashed Beans , Chilli powder , Coriander and Cumin Powder .
3. Mix well . Add finely Chopped Coriander .Cool and squeeze Juice of Lime .Check for Salt and Spices and adjust accordingly .
4. Cool and divide the Potato mixture into 7 equal Portions .
5. Grease your hands with Oil and shape them like Patties.
OUTER COVERING :
Need 1 to 2 tbsp Oil for Pan frying BATATA VADA ( POTATO VADA)
1. Mix Chickpea flour , Rice flour , Curry Powder , Ajwain and salt .
2. Add Water slowly and mix like a thick Batter without lumps .
3. Heat a wide Pan on Medium heat and Grease the Pan with Oil .
4. Dip the Potato patties in the Batter and Place in the warm Pan . Drizzle Oil over the edges. When the Edges are light brown , flip them and Pan fry the other side.
5. SERVE them with Pav , Garlic chutney Powder and Pan fried Green Chilli .
Note : You can drizzle some DATE TAMARIND CHUTNEY , Coriander green chilli Chutney over the Pav and Place the Potato Patty . Sprinkle some Garlic chutney Powder . Serve warm .