Green Moong Dal Idli withDaliya ( Cracked wheat) /Brown Basmati rice( Less Grains )and Instant Vegetable Sambar . One go for Breakfast and Dinner . Shared 3 combination of Lentils with Grains to prepare Green Moong Dal Idli with well fermented batter .
I tried Green Moong Dal idli with both Daliya( Cracked wheat) and Brown Basmati rice and with Less Grains. When we prepare Idli the ratio of Lentils to Grains will be 1 :2 or 3 I tried with equal parts of Lentils and Grains. They turned out Soft and fluffy.Recipe is for 24 Idli’s . When ever I prepare Idli we eat for Breakfast and for Dinner . Breakfast with Curry Leaf powder and Ghee. The rest for Dinner with Instant Vegetable Sambar. That is the reson why I like Steamed Idli’s. Less work and we can eat for any meal . Waiting for Summer to try Steamed Idli’s with Different lentils and Grains. Why to wait for Summer . Idli need well fermented Batter. So we can enjoy Soft and Fluffy Idli’s . You can enjoy soft and fluffy Idli’s if the batter is fermented properly . My batter is fermenting because of Summer and I leave overnight in the Oven and it will be ready for Breakfast. I like Idli for Breakfast because no need to stay in Kitchen to prepare Breakfast. Just pour batter in Idli moulds and Steam . Grease the plates with Oil before pouring the batter. So they come out Clean and you can wash in Dish washer. Recipe is for 24 Idli’s and I refrigerate the rest for Dinner. Here is the Simple recipe with 3 Ingredients .
Fermented foods are foods that have been through a process of lacto fermentation in which natural beneficial bacteria found on the starch and sugar in food creating lactic acid . Lactic acid producing bacteria are common in probiotic supplements which is why traditional fermented foods are also known as probiotic foods . Lactic acid producing bacteria helps acidify the digestive tract creating an environment conducive to the growth of all Healthy bacteria. Source : HM
1. Green Moong Dal – 1 Cup , Channa Dal – 1/2 cup and Daliya ( Cracked wheat) or Brown Basmati Rice – 1 1/2 cup . Soak for 3 to 4 hours , Grind and Ferment overnight .
2. Green Moong Dal – 1 cup , Urad dal – 1/2 cup and Daliya( Cracked wheat) or Brown Basmati rice – 1 1/2 cup . Soak for 3 to 4 hours , Grind and Ferment overnight .
3. Green Moong Dal – 1 Cup , Yellow Moong Dal – 1/2 Cup and Daliya ( Cracked Wheat) or Brown Basmati rice – 1 1/2 cup . Soak for 3 to 4 Hours , Grind and Ferment Overnight .
Recipe for 24 Idli’s .
Preparation time : 5 Minutes Grinding Steaming time : 13 minutes
NOTE : While grinding don’t add too much water. Green moong dal doesn’t need much water while grinding.
1. Green whole Moong Dal – 1 cup
2. Channa Dal – 1/2 Cup
3. Daliya – Cracked Wheat – 1 1/2 cup or Brown Basmati rice – 1 1/2 cup
5. Fenu greek seeds- 1/2 tbsp
6. Water for Grinding.
1. Soak Dals and Daliya( Cracked wheat ) for 4 to 5 Hours. Wash before and after Soaking.
2. Grind in the evening with Salt and very less water .
3. Ferment Overnight .
4. Grease Idli moulds or Plates with Oil . Fill 3 cups of Water in Pressure cooker.
5. Pour big spoonful of Batter in each mould .
6. Pressure cook without Steamer for 13 minutes.
6. After 13 minutes Switch off the stove .
7. Wait for 10 Minutes and remove the Idli stand from Pressure cooker.
8. Remove Idli’s from the Plates with a wet steel Spoon . Serve with Chutney or Curry leaf powder or with Yogurt raita or Instant Vegetable Sambar.
1. Roast 1 tbsp Cumin seeds , 1 tbsp Coriander seeds, Black peppercons, Fenugreek and Mustard seeds – 1/4 th tbsp and 2 Red chillies . Cool the Spices and grind with 2 tbsp Dry coconut , Marble size Tamarind, 4 Cloves Garlic and Small piece of ginger into a Fine Powder . Add Chopped tomatoes ( 3 ) , 2 tbsp Brown Sugar , Salt and Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp with One cup Water.
2. Add 1/2 Cup Cooked Dal ( Toor Dal and Channa Dal) and Grind . Transfer to a Cooking Pot. Add One more glass water. Note : If you don’t have time to Cook Dal add 2 tbsp Chickpea flour and 2 tbsp Rice flour and Grind the Masala .
3. VEGETABLES : Add Chopped Green Squash ( One Big , Peeled and Diced) , Chopped Carrots ( 15) , Potato – 4 ( Cubed) and Drum stick , Chopped Onion – 1 Medium( thinly sliced ) .
4. Bring to boil . Check for Salt and Spices and adjust accordingly . Add Curry Leaves and Chopped coriander.
5. Heat 2 tbsp Oil and Splutter Mustard seeds , Cumin seeds – 1/2 tbsp each , Black Split Urad dal – 2 tbsp , Red chillies – 4 Broken and a Pinch of Asfotedia( Hing) . Add the seasoning to Vegetable Sambar.
Add 1/2 to 1 tbsp Ghee .