Serve this Okra ( Bhindi) stew with Dosa ( Lentils Pancake) or Steamed rice or Phulka and Plain paratha( Indian Bread) . Just follow my recipe to enjoy this tasty Stew and how much water to add etc.so that you don’t have a burning bottom . Cooking time is very less . Amazing right . No need to Baby sit or stirring in between . Simple recipe prepared with few ingredients. Masala paste is the highlight for the recipe .
Okra is your intestinal tract friend because this part of the body comes with good and bad bacteria and Okra( Bhindi) is a good food to keep your GI tract healthy due to its contribution for good bacteria known as probiotics in your GI tract. You have many options when it comes to cooking Okra because it is pretty versatile and can be made into Stew , Stir fry , Stuffed and pickled . Good source of fiber. The fiber in this vegetable are soluble and insoluble meaning they enhance the digestion supporting liver and kidneys and also stabilizes Blood sugar levels . It can curb the rate of sugar absorption when it goes to intestinal tract and effective in doing so. Okra is called a super food for people with or at risk for diabetes or Cancer. Nutrients in Okra can be useful for those who aim to improve their well being . Along with vitamins and minerals the antioxidants in Okra can trigger a process in cancer cells and reduce their size and activity limiting the spread in the body .Source : HM
Recipe for 2 .
Preparation time – 10 to 15 minutes Cooking time – 4 minutes.
1. Okra ( Bhindi) – 15 ( Cut in an angle as shown in the picture . So it will hold shape once you finish cooking)
2. Onion – Medium ( Thinly sliced), Grated ginger and Cushed garlic( 4 cloves)
3. Oil – 1 tbsp and Ghee – 1/2 tbsp
4. Seasoning – Split Black urad dal – 1 tbsp , Cumin and Mustard seeds – 1/2 tbsp , Red chillies -1 , Hing – Pinch and Curry leaves
5. Finely chopped Coriander leaves
6. Water – 2 Measuring cups
7. Masala Paste – Dry roast 2 tbsp sesame seeds , 1/2 tbsp Cumin seeds , 1/2 tbsp Coriander seeds, fenu greek seeds – 4 and Red chillies – 2 . Cool and grind with Handful roasted channa dal , 2 tbsp dry coconut , Marble size tamarind , 2 tbsp Jaggery or mor e. Once you grind to fine powder add 1 measuring cup water and grind into fine paste. Add one more measuring cup water to the Masala paste . Taste and add accordingly .
Water is important for the recipe so you won’t have burned bottom.
Note : For Red color you can add 1/2 tbsp Red chilli powder of your choice.
1. Turn IP to saute mode . Add Oil and Ghee. When warm add Mustard seeds, Black split urad dal , Cumin seeds , Red chilli , Hing and Curry leaves.
2. When they turn brown add Ginger and garlic paste. Fry for few seconds and add thinly sliced Onions and Cut Okra( Bhindi) . Fry for couple of minutes uncovered .
3. When Okra is light brown add the masala paste. Mix gently . Add 1/2 to 1 tbsp Sambar powder ( Homemade or store bought ) .
4. Cancel Saute mode . Close IP with sealing . Press manual for 3 minutes . NPR after 5 minutes .
5. Taste for salt and spices and add accordingly . Add finely chopped coriander leaves .
SERVE with STEAMED RICE or Dosa or Phulka or Plain Paratha ( Indian Bread )
STOVE TOP :