Eggplant Biryani with Vegetable Raita – Instant Pot
Because of Holidays I’m cooking Biryani ( One pot Meal) every other day . It is easy to cook ( Just transfer everything to the pot) and will be ready in less time. Cooks perfectly in INSTANT POT without mushy and burnt bottom .We like Eggplant and It is our favorite vegetable . On Lazy cooking days or when I don’t have time to cook Dinner I simply Pan fry and season with Peanut Powder and we eat with Steamed rice. It is like a take out. You can store eggplant for 2 weeks . Wrap each eggplant in a paper towel and into Ziplock or Plastic Bag. Store in last shelf of the refrigerator . They stay good for 2 weeks. Change the Paper towel every 4 days and bring to room temperature and wrap in dry Paper towel if any left. For today’s recipe instead of Cooking separate Curry with Eggplant I just Sauted stuffed Eggplant before adding water and rice. I even added GREEN PEAS ( dried . Soak overnight and Microwave . So they cook along with Rice )or FROZEN Green peas for sweet taste in between . Adding Biryani Masala is Optional if your Kids doesn’t like it. Still taste good without it or add a Pinch to flavor Eggplant .
Recipe for 3
1. Basmati Rice – 1 Cup
2. Water – 1 1/2 cup
3. Green Peas – 1/2 cup ( Soak overnight and Microwave ) or Frozen Green peas
4. Eggplant – 8 Medium ( Eggplant of your choice) . Make a slit and stuff with spice powder so they won’t taste bland .
Potato – 1 or 2 ( Peeled and Cubed) ,
2 Roma tomatoes – chopped ( 12 pieces)
5. Ginger – Snall piece ( Chopped n crushed) and Garlic ( 4 Cloves) – Crushed
6. Green chilli paste – 1/2 to 1 tbsp , Biryani Masala – 1/2 to 1 tbsp or Garam Masala or Spices of your choice
7. Oil – 2 tbsp andGhee – 1 tbsp
8. Salt to taste
9. Finely Chopped Coriander and Mint Leaves
10 . Whole Garam Masala – 1 tbsp Cumin seeds , 4 Cloves , 3 Cardamom , Bay Leaves -2 , Cinnamom stick – small – 2
1. Soak rice for Half hour . Wash 3 to 4 times and add Water . Add salt to the Water . Taste the water for Salt . Add Green peas to Rice water , Cubed Potato and Chopped Tomato .
2. Turn IP to Saute mode . When warm add Oil and Ghee followed by Cumin seeds, Cloves, Cardamom, Bay leaves , Cinnamon stick , green chilli paste ,Ginger and crushed Garlic. Fry for a minute and add thinly sliced Onions ( Handful) .
3. When Onions are Brown add Eggplant and season with Red chilli powder , little Coriander and Cumin powder and Biryani Masala or Garam Masala or Spices of your choice .Mix well .
4. Add rice with water , potato and Tomato . Mix well .
5. Cancel Saute . Close with lid. Rice mode . When you see the silver button pops up Unplug . NPR ( 5 minutes) . Add finely chopped Coriander and Mint Leaves . Mix gently .
SERVE with VEGETABLE RAITA ( Vegetables with Yogurt) Add chopped onions , tomato and grated carrots to 2 cups yogurt and Season with Cumin seed Oil .
and Mango Pickle .