Moong Dal Vadi Curry – Instant Pot – Side for Roti with Okra ( Bhindi ) Masala ,Steamed rice and Phulka ( Indian Bread)
I prepare Moong Dal Vadi curry when I don’t have Vegetables or if I want to cook something simple for Dinner or as a side for Roti with some stir fry Vegetable. I tried in Instant Pot . It turned out good with the ingredients I added . Right consistency and simple recipe to try . I added potatoes ( for Kids ) and optional . If you are preparing only Moong Dal Vadi curry without any stir fry then I suggest to add Potatoes .To go along with Moong Dal Vadi curry I prepare Bhindi ( Okra ) Masala . I’m sharing the recipe at the end . It’s non sticky and can be cooked in very less time . I use wide pan to prepare Okra stir fry and I don’t add any salt till the end . I sprinkled Peanut Masala powder . I prepare this powder in a big batch and half I refrigerate in an air tight container. Here are 2 Simple recipes I’m sharing.
Recipe for 3
1. Moong Dal Vadi
2. Potato – 3 ( Cubed )
3. Onion – thinly sliced
4. Tomatoes-2 ( 12 pieces)
5. Chickpea flour -2tbsp or ( 1 tbsp rice flour n 1 tbsp Chickpea flour )
6. Yogurt -1/2 cup and Water -1 measuring cup
7 . Salt to taste
8. Curry powder -1/2 tbsp
9 . Ajwain -1/4 th tbsp , Cumin seeds n mustard seed -1/2 tbsp each and Oil – 2 tbsp
10 . Finely chopped coriander leaves
1. Fry Moong Dal Vadi in a tbsp Oil and transfer to a Bowl.
2. Add oil and splutter Mustard seeds,Cumin seeds , Black split Urad Dal and Red chilli .
3. Add finely chopped onion and cubed potato . Season with Salt and turmeric. Fry till light brown.
3. Mix Curd with 2 tbsp Chickpeas and mix without lumps . Add water , Ajwain and curry powder .
4. Once onions are light brown add Curd . Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add tomatoes . Cook for another minute. Switch off the stove .
5. Add Moong Dal Vadi and chopped coriander.
Instant POT :
1. Turn IP on Sauté mode and fry Moong Vadi . Transfer to a Bowl . You can add while cooking with rest of the ingredients or at the end .
2 . Add 2 more tbsp Oil and add Cumin seeds n Mustard seeds , thinly sliced Onions, cubed potatoes . Season with salt and turmeric . Cover with lid and cook for couple of minutes.
3. Mix yogurt ( Curd) with 2 tbsp Chickpea flour and mix without lumps . Add water , Curry powder and Ajwain. Mix well.
4. Slowly add yogurt mixture to the pot . Scrape the bottom. Add chopped tomatoes too .
5. Cancel Sauté . Press manual 4 minutes. When you see silver button pops up unplug . NPR .
6. Take the inner pot out . Taste for Salt n spices and add accordingly. Add chopped coriander too .
Recipe for Okra ( Bhindi) Masala:
Heat a wide pan on medium heat . When warm enough add Bhindi( Okra ) . Mix well . Close the lid and cook for couple of minutes .
2. Okra will be soft . Uncover or keep lid half open and fry Bhindi( Okra ) until brown ( takes less than 10 minutes) . Stir in between to avoid burning.
3. Move Okra( Bhindi) to the side of the pan and add thinly sliced onions . Season onions with Salt , turmeric and Cumin seeds . Mix well .
4. When Onions are light brown mix Okra and Onions and fry for couple of minutes.
5. Switch off the stove . Cool sometime and add Peanut Masala powder ,Chopoed coriander and mint leaves .