Karela(Bitter gourd) – Instant Pot – 90 percent Bitter Free with Cooking time – 10 minutes – Side for Roti ( Indian Bread) . No burnt bottom . Half the cooking time of Stove top.
I tried so many recipes with Karela . I cook at least once a week and it is one of our favorite vegetable . Stuffed or stir fry . First time I tried in Instant Pot. Happy with the outcome and No burnt bottom. I finished cooking in 10 minutes. Even my kids like this recipe with Steamed rice and it is 90 percent bitter free. I can say 99 percent . To reduce bitterness of Karela( The Karela we get here are too bitter. ) I marinade and left overnight in refrigerator. Discard the liquid before cooking. No need to wash Karela. With the moisture from soaked Karela it will cook without burnt bottom. This will stay good for 4 days and you can serve as side with your meal. Once finish cooking in Instant Pot I fried for few minutes in the pot with leftover Oil until light brown. You will see light brown in the steel pot when you saute KARELA . No need to worry. Scrape the bottom when you add Onions. Don’t add too much water . Add water I mentioned in the Ingredients for right consistency along with tamarind pulp . Otherwise it is going to be soupy . Just read the METHOD carefully to enjoy this delicious and tasty Karela .
Recipe for 3 to 4 People. Stays good for 3 to 4 days. With Soaking tip . Right consistency .
Preparation time – 10 minutes . Cooking time – 10 minutes
1. Karela – 4 ( Medium , thin) Cut 1/2 inch thick
2. Onion – One ( thinly sliced)
3. Oil – 4 tbsp for Karela and 2 tbsp for frying Onions
4. Curry Powder – 1/2 tbsp and Sambar Powder – 1/2 tbsp
5. Tamarind – For Soaking ( Lemon size ) and Tamarind Pulp – 1/4 th cup
6. Jaggery – 2 to 3 tbsp
7. Water – 3 tbsp
8. Coriander – Finely chopped
9 . Water – 1/2 cup for Soaking Karela .
Soak Tamarind in 1/2 cup water and extract the Juice and add salt . Mix well . Add Karela . Leave on the kitchen counter for an hour .
1. Discard the soaking liquid of Karela before cooking. Don’t wash Karela( Bitter gourd)
2. Turn IP on Saute mode . Add 4 tbsp Oil . When warm add Karela Pieces . Mix gently and make sure Karela is coated with Oil . Close the lid.
3. Cancel saute . Manual 2 minutes. When you see silver button pops up unplug. QPR .
4. Turn on Saute and fry for 5 minutes till light brown . Mix in between to avoid burning.
5. After 5 minutes unplug. Leave for couple of minutes in steel pot and transfer to glass Bowl .
6. Turn IP on saute mode . Add 2 tbsp Oil . When Oil is warm add 1/2 tbsp Cumin seeds and thinly sliced Onions. Season with salt and turmeric. Mix and scrape the bottom . Close with a glass lid. Mix in between .
7. When Onions are half done add tamarind pulp , jaggery, Sambar powder, Curry Powder and Karela . Mix . Close with glass lid and cook for 2 minutes. Mix in between. Note : Add Spice powder according to your taste.
8. After 2 minutes Unplug. Remove the steel Pot . Cool for a while and add finely chopped coriander.
9. Taste for Salt and Spices and add accordingly .
10 . SERVE as a side for you Meal or with STEAMED RICE.