Barley Soup -Instant Pot -Dinner/Lunch
Waiting for warm weather to enjoy Ice cream . Instead had a Bowl of soup for last night dinner. Need warm bowl of soup after shoveling the snow . Prepared Barley soup in IP . By now you all understood that I like cooking in IP which keeps food warm for hours and one pot to clean . I run my Dish Washer only once in 2 days ( It takes couple of hours to clean and dry ) . Surprisingly it is snowing in Spring ( Winter storm . They named it as Toby ) . 5 more . No more snow . Kids are waiting for warm weather so they can go out for play. My younger one keeps herself busy by doing some crafts since she can’t go out and play after School ( She plays outside during recess in school ) . Sharing some crafts she did at the end of my post. This soup taste good with simple ingredients and no need to add any flour , Barley will thicken the soup .
Winter storm Toby . Clicked from my porch .
Recipe for 3
1. Barley -1/2 cup ( raw )
2. Beans of your choice or Canned Beans or Green whole Moong Dal -1/2 cup ( raw ) Soak overnight or Green Moong sprouts . I tried with Whole Green Moong . Naturally thickens the soup without adding any flour .
3. Onion – one ( finely chopped),Chopped Roma tomatoes – 2 ,chopped carrots and finely chopped vegetables of your choice
4. Garlic -4 cloves ( peeled and crushed)
5. Ginger – small piece ( chopped)
6.Green chilli Paste -2 (Mortal n pestol )
7. Rasam powder or Sambar powder -1 tbsp or Red chilli powder , Coriander and Cumin powder .
8. Salt and turmeric
9. Oil -1 tbsp
10. Finely chopped coriander
11. Water -2 to 2 1/2 measuring cups .
12. Juice of Lime -1/2 ( Optional)
1. Pressure cook Soaked Green Moong , Barley with little salt and water for 2 whistles .
2. Fry onions in a tbsp of Oil . Season with Salt and turmeric. Add ginger and garlic and fry for couple of minutes . Transfer cooked Green Moong and Barley to the Sauce pan and add all the other ingredients and bring to boil . Add water . Taste for salt and Spices and add accordingly.
3. If needed Squeeze juice of Lime .
1. Soak Barley and Green Moong Dal . Wash 3 to 4 times before and after soaking .
2. Turn IP on Sauté mode . When warm add Oil and Cumin seeds . Add Crushed garlic , ginger , Green chilli Paste , Chopped onions , Vegetables of your choice and carrots . Season with Salt and turmeric . Close lid and fry for couple of minutes.
3. Add chopped tomatoes , mix and scrape the bottom.
4. Add Rasam powder , Soaked Barley and Soaked Green Moong . Add water. Mix .
5. Close the lid . Manual 15 minutes. NPR . Add chopped coriander leaves .Taste for salt and Spices and add accordingly.Cool and squeeze juice of Lime ( Optional)
My daughter After School activities : Limiting Screen time