Instant pot Gongura – 5 Ingredients . .
Gongura ( Tangy Sorrell leaves ) stir fry is a simple 5 ingredient recipe. Serve with steamed rice or as a side for your meal. I tried this in Instant Pot ( as we all know less Cooking time and no monitoring ) . It stays good for 4 to 5 days in refrigerator. Wash leaves 4 to 5 times and dry leaves for an hour or so and stir fry . Cooks fast and won’t get spoiled. No need to add tamarind or Lime as I prepared with red stemmed leaves which is more tangy. Spring and Summer is the season and you can find it easily in Indian grocery store. One thing you have to remember is fry Onions till brown and cook leaves till dry ( Doesn’t take much time as we drying leaves overnight on a cloth or Paper Towel) . Add sufficient spices and oil to enjoy this tasty stir fry .
Gongura is a plant grown for its edible leaves. It is popular in some states. In Marathi it is called Ambadi , Gongura in Andhra, Pitwae in Hindi, Kenaf leaves in English . Chin Baung in china and Pandi Pundi in Kannada . A baby gongura leaf is a full leaf. As the leaf grow older, the leaf splits into 4 or more parts. It is a summer crop and hotter the place , the more sour the leaf gets. It comes in 2 varieties . Green stemmed leaf and Red stemmed . The red stemmed variety is more sour than green stemmed variety . We can prepare many variety of pickles and curries with Gongura . Rich source of Iron, Vitamins , folic acid and antioxidants essential for human nutrition.
Recipe for 4 . Preparation and Cooking time : Less than 30 minutes
NOTE : ADD COOKED RICE and Pack for LUNCH BOX .
Gongura Leaves – One bunch ( Pluck leaves . Wash 3 to 4 times and dry overnight or for One hour ) or you can cook immediately as it takes few more minutes to stir fry
2. Channa dal – 1/2 cup ( Soak for half hour)
3. Onion – One big ( Finely chopped )
4.Garlic – 6 ( Peeled and crushed)
5. Green chillies – 6 ( Whole, taste good as they cook with Gongura)
6. Oil – 3 to 4 tbsp
7. Salt and Turmeric
8. Curry Powder – 1 to 2 tbsp ( Blend of red chilli powder , Coriander and Cumin Powder , Crushed garlic)
1. Turn IP on saute mode. When warm add oil . Splutter mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, Red chillies, Hing, Green chillies.
2. Add finely chopped Onions . Season with Salt and Turmeric .Fry till light browm . Add crushed Garlic. Fry for a minute.
3. Add soaked and washed Channa dal . Mix well .
4. Close IP lid . Manual 3 minutes . NPR .
5. Open lid and add finely chopped Gongura. Saute mode. Fry till water evaporates ( for 3 to 4 minutes) . If needed add Oil . Unplug and add Curry powder . Cool and transfer to a Pyrex Bowl.
SERVE with Steamed Rice .