Instant Pot vegetable Mac and Cheese – Kids Lunch Box/Summer Lunch /Dinner – 5 ingredients
Now I can prepare my Kids favorite Mac and cheese with less work and Zero monitoring. Just gather ingredients and transfer every thing to the pot. I did PIP cooking as this is my first Mac and cheese in Instant pot and I’m not sure whether Pasta will cook in the sauce. So I cooked Pasta in a separate Bowl. Both Pasta and sauce cooked perfectly at the same time. Sauce is not raw. Add vegetables for One Pot meal and Kids can’t pick and keep aside as they will busy enjoying the mac and cheese. I added light spices to flavor the sauce and not too much cheese. Don’t add salt in the sauce. Add at the end. The amount of water , milk and cheese I added are sufficient and got right consistency . I added de seeded tomato at the end as my kids like the taste of tomato in Pasta and Optional . Here is the Simple recipe.
UPDATE for Vegetable Mac and Cheese . I cooked Sauce , Pasta and vegetables at the same time without PIP COOKING .
Recipe look so simple but do try if your kids like Mac and cheese for any Meal.
NOTE : IF YOU WANT TO PACK FOR KIDS LUNCH BOX ADD LITTLE MORE MILK .
RECIPE FOR 2 TO 3
One cup – One measuring cup
1. Whole grain Elbow Macaroni – 1 Cup and water to cook Pasta – 2 cups and little salt
2. Small Cauliflower florets – 1 cup ,Vegetables ( finely chopped Green Beans , Carrots, Peas and corn) – 1 cup , Green Bell pepper , Zucchini – 1/2 cup , and De seeded Tomato – One to add at the end .
3. For sauce : 2 tbsp Flour , One cup Milk and One cup water
4. Spices – Curry powder or sambar powder – 1/2 tbsp , Mixed herbs, Black pepper and red pepper flakes – 1/2 tbsp
5. Cheddar cheese – 1/2 cup
6. Oil – 2 tbsp
1. Turn Instant pot on saute mode . When warm add Oil and Mixed Vegetables . Fry for a minute. Add flour . Mix and fry for a minute.
2 . Add water and mix well . Scrape the bottom . Add Milk . Add cauliflower florets , capsicum and zucchini .
4. Close lid . Manual 5 minutes. QPR after 5 minutes. Open the lid . Take out Pasta Bowl . Discard Pasta water and add Pasta to sauce.
5. Add Sambar powder or Curry powder( For Indian taste to sauce) , Black Pepper , red pepper flakes ,Mixed herbs and salt . Mix gently .
6. Add cheese . Mix. taste for salt and spices and add accordingly .
7.Add de seeded Tomato . .
SERVE WARM .
UPDATE : Without PIP cooking . Cooked sauce , Pasta and vegetables all at the same time . Right consistency and No burnt bottom .
Ingredients : RECIPE FOR 2 . One cup – Measuring cup
1. Pasta – One cup ( Wash 3 to 4 times )
2. Milk – 1 cup and Water -1 1/2 cup
3. Vegetable s – Frozen mixed vegetables, Zucchini, Bell pepper , small Cauliflower Flores and Desseded tomato ( add at the end )
4. Cheddar cheese -1/2 cup
5. Spices – Rasam powder -1/2 tbsp , Salt , Black pepper and Italian Mixed herbs .
I added 1 Cup milk and 1 1/2 cup Water ( Measuring cup )
METHOD :1. Turn IP on Sauté mode . When warm add 1tbsp oil . 2 tbsp Wheat flour or APF flour . Fry for a minute .
2. Add one measuring cup milk and mix without Lumps . Add 11/2 measuring cup water . Mix well . Don’t add salt or Rasam powder .
3. Add washed One measuring cup Pasta and Vegetables( Mixed frozen vegetables, Zucchini and Bell pepper ) . Mix well . Close lid . Manual 5 minutes. NPR ( 5 to 7 minutes) or do QPR after 7 minutes.
4. Open lid add salt , Rasam or Sambar powder .
5. Add cheddar cheese , deseeded tomato .
You can add chopped spinach too .
Taste for salt and spices and add accordingly. Add black pepper and Italian Mixed herbs