Instant pot Green Lentils Tomato Rice – One Pot meal for Lunch /Dinner – 5 Ingredients . Served with Vegetable Raita( Vegetables in Yogurt . Seasoned with cumin seeds oil)
Tasty ONE POT MEAL you feel like eating every day . Easy to prepare and will be ready before you clean up your kitchen counter and prepare Raita . I use Green Lentils in my everyday Cooking. I add in soups, Vegetable Patties and in Rice recipes ( Biryani) . What I like about this Lentil is , it will hold shape after you finish cooking . Doesn’t get mushed up . Soak along with rice for 30 minutes so they cook along with rice . Or you can soak overnight if you are planning to cook early morning. I just added few vegetables. You can add any vegetables of your choice. Mild spices will flavor the rice and taste good when served with Vegetable Raita. I prepare raita night before and refrigerate and it comes to room temperature by Lunch time. Here is the Simple recipe wit few ingredients. I added good amount of Lentils and it is not dominating the grains.
Lentils have negligible amount of fat and good source of protein without adding any extra fat to the body there by promoting a healthy heart . India has largest number of vegetarians ans Lentils can be a substitute for meat in supplying the required protein . Good source of dietary fiber . Dietary fiber filled food such as Lentils help in controlling blood sugar . Dietary fiber also slows down the rate at which food is absorbed by the blood and thus maintains the sugar level constantly . Lentils have great potential to control cancer growth. Studies conducted at university of Illinois have found that plant lectins a separate type of plant protein originate from foods like lentils , wheat , peanuts have a great influence on cancer cells.Side effects of excessive protein – excessive consumption can pressurize kidneys in flushing out those excess protein in the body . Eat in moderation .Source : HM
Recipe for 3 . Preparation and cooking time : Less than 20 minutes
RECIPE FOR VEGETABLE RAITA seasoned with CUMIN SEEDS OIL
To 2 cups of Yogurt add 1/4th cup chopped onions, One chopped tomato , 3 Baby carrots grated , Chopped coriander and salt. Heat 1/2 tbsp oil and add 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds . Cool and add to Yogurt( curd) .
1. White Basmati rice Or Brown Basmati rice – 1 cup and Water – 1 1/2 cup
2. Green Lentils – 1/2 cup to 3/4 th cup ( first try with 1/2 cup )
3. Toamtoes – 2 ( Chopped) , Onion – thinly sliced , Garlic cloves – 4 ( Peeled and crushed ) , Ginger – small piece ( Paste in Mortar and Pestle ) and fresh Green chilli paste – 2 g ( In mortar and Pestol) and Potato .
Finely chopped coriander and Mint and Chopped vegetables ( Green Beans and Carrots) – One cup
NOTE : You can add thinly sliced CABBAGE or BIG florets of CAULIFLOWER or Chopped SPINACH or BELL PEPPERS or MIXED VEGETABLES ( Green Beans , carrots )
4. Garam Masala or Sambar powder or Rasam powder – 1/2 to 1 tbsp and Salt , RED PEPPER FLAKES ( OPTIONAL) – 1/2 tbsp
5. Whole Garam Masala – 5 cloves , 2 cardamom , small cinnamon stick , 2 Bay leaves and 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
6. Oil – 4 tbsp
1. Soak Basmati rice and Green Lentils for 30 minutes . Wash 3 to 4 times and transfer to a Bowl . Add water and salt . Taste water for salt and add accordingly .
2. Turn Instant pot on saute mode . When warm add Oil . When oil hot add Cloves, cumin seeds , cardamom, Bay leaves and cinnamon stick .
3. Add Onions . When onions turn pink add Green chilli paste, crushed garlic , ginger paste , fry couple of minutes .
4. Add chopped tomatoes. Add chopped vegetables( green beans and carrots) , rice with water and lentils. Mix well . Add curry powder or Sambar powder .
5. Close lid. Rice mode . NPR ( after 7 to 10 minutes) . Open lid. Mix gently . Discard Bay leaf , Cinnamon stick and cloves.
SERVE warm with Vegetable Raita
1. Soak rice and Lentils . Wash 3 to 4 times and transfer to Rice cooker. Add 2 cups water and salt . Taste water for salt and add accordingly.
2. Add chopped green beans, carrots , Potato and chopped tomato , Coriander and Mint to rice cooker .
3. Add Garam Masala or Sambar powder or rasam Powder . Mix well .
4. Heat 4 tbsp oil and add Cumin seeds , Cloves , Cardamom, Bay leaves and Cinnamon stick . Add this to Rice water. Mix well .
5. Close the lid and press Cook button . Unplug when you see warm . Serve with Vegetable raita.