Instant pot Indian Broad Beans Masala curry , Tomato Rasam and steamed rice – PIP cooking
Indian Broad Beans also know as Horse Bean , English Bean , Tick Bean got their name from the seeds which are large. Most Beans including Broad Beans are good source of Iron. Adding to your diet provides a boost of Protein , fiber , Potassium and energy providing B vitamins. It grows in winter from September to March because it requires a Cold season for growth . Moderate moisture supply is necessary for this bean to flourish well. try to pick Beans which are not flat and dry but meaty , tender and Plump beans inside . Take out fiber from both sides before you cook. I pressure cooked in Instant pot t with very little water( no lost of nutrition) and for fast cooking. Cool in a wide plate before adding to the Curry . So the Curry won’t be mushy. Source : HM
If you normally find some vegetables are bland turn them into a delicacy and you will learn to love these vegetables.How to make the Veggies a lot less boring is by adding spices. For some Vegetables flavors will intensify if we add Spices, Onions , Ginger and Garlic. Onions are rich in compounds to fight certain diseases . To cut the sharpness of Onions saute with GINGER and GARLIC which brings flavor and sweetness. I shared Homemade spice Powder and CURRY POWDER will add flavor and spicy bite you want.They will add rich deep flavor that you will love. The vegetable will taste so good when it coated with tomato masala paste with spices. Try this Simple and delicious Vegetable to pair with Phulka or Plain paratha.
- Full meal you can cook in INSTANT POT with PIP COOKING.
Recipe for 3 to 4 . Preparation and cooking time : 30 minutes
1. Indian Broad Beans – 6 Handfuls
2. Onion – 1 Finely chopped , Garlic – 4 cloves ( Peeled and crushed ) , Ginger – small piece grated
3. Tomatoes – 3 ( Chopped )
4. Potato – 3 ( Peeled and Cubed)
5. Oil – 3 tbsp, Cumin seeds , Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp each , red chillies – 2
6. Masala Powder : Dry roast 1/2 tbsp Cumin seeds , 1/2 tbsp Coriander seeds, Fennel seeds, Mustard and fenugreek seeds – 1/4 th tbsp , Red chillies , Cloves -2 , Cardamom – 1 or 2 and small piece of Cinnamon . Cool and grind with 2 tbsp dry coconut and Mango Powder or tamarind .
7 . Fresh Coconut or Dry coconut – 1/4 th Cup In mortar pestol grind with 2 green chillies and toasted sesame seeds. ( I added half for Indian Broad Beans and half for Rasam)
8. Finely chopped coriander to add at the end .
2. Microwave 2 tomatoes . Chop them finely . Add to the steel bowl . Add water , salt , Turmeric, Curry leaves , Crushed garlic , Chopped ginger ,Chopped coriander and Rasam powder . ( Once finish cooking add coconut )( Prepare tadka in the inner pot before cooking Indian Broad Beans Masala curry)
3. Add chopped Broad Beans to Steel Bowl . Season with salt and add very little water .
4. Add water to inner pot . Place trivet followed by Broad Beans , Rasam and rice . Close lid . Rice mode . NPR .
While all 3 are cooking dry roast the spices . Cool and grind. Before grinding this grind Coconut with 2 Green chillies and roasted sesame seeds – 1 tbsp ( Half and half for curry and Rasam)
5. Open the lid . Take out the steel container . Transfer Broad Beans to a wide plate and Potato to cool before adding to the curry .
6. Turn on saute mode . When warm add Oil , mustard seeds and Cumin seeds. Add finely chopped Onions. Season with Salt and turmeric. Cover with lid and cook until onions are light brown .
7. Add crushed garlic and ginger paste. Fry for a minute.
8. Add finely chopped tomatoes. Cook until tomatoes are soft. Add Masala powder to cooked tomatoes. Mix well .
9. Now add cooked Indian Broad Beans and Crumbled potato and Red chilli powder. Add finely chopped coriander. Mix gently . SQUEEZE juice of Lime if you don’t have tamarind.
SERVE warm with Phulka( indian Bread) , Tomato Rasam , Raita and Steamed rice.