Round Samosa – Not Deep fried – Instant pot – 5 ingredients – Kids Lunch Box/Appetizer
Samosa is a popular street food of India which is deep fried with Spicy Potato filling that has Crispy and Outer flaky layer made with APF flour or Wheat flour served with Green Chutney and Sweet Chutney as an afternoon snack / appetizer / Tea time snack .
For today’s recipe I made a little change , instead of triangle shaped , I shaped them round , so that I can fry in Paniyaram Pan ( 12 at the same time) instead of deep frying or shallow frying ,believing shortcut to innovative dish is not to spend hours in Kitchen . I never tried samosa at home because of all the work . We enjoy this famous snack at restaurants /Movie theater . This week I decided to prepare at home by giving make over to the traditional dish . Believe me it tasted so good. The outer covering is Crispy like the traditional Samosa . The filling is very tasty prepared with Cooked Potato , green peas , Bell pepper and for flavor I added Ginger garlic paste and seasoned with Curry powder. For tanginess I added mango powder . While traditional samosa are deep fried , instead I fried in Paniyaram pan . No compromise in taste.
GI is a measure of how quickly a food raises your levels of Blood sugar . Eating lower GI foods tends to sustain your energy levels as these foods digest more slowly . The same amount of White potato and Sweet potato contain the same amount of Carbohydrates ( 1/2 cup = 15 grams of carbs) . Sweet potatoes however have more fiber and slightly lower in GI . Fiber is essential for helping to control appetite , burn fat , maintain healthy digestion and build muscles. If you are trying to loose weight Sweet potatoes are a great food because of high amount of dietary fiber and low Calorie content. Other benefits of Sweet potato includes 52 percent of the daily recommended intake of Vitamin C and excellent source of Vitamin A ( in the form of beta carotene) . One cup of Sweet potato contains 114 Calories and whopping 377 percent of your daily intake of Vitamin A . Source :HM
1. Sweet potato – 1 medium ( Optional) and White potato – 3 ( Peeled and Cubed ) or 2 Sweet Potato and 2 White potato .
2. Onion – medium ( finely chopped), grated Ginger – small piece and Crushed Garlic ( 4 cloves) , Green chilli paste
3. Green peas – 1/2 cup, Finely chopped vegetables of your choice
4. Red chilli powder, coriander and cumin powder – 1 tbsp and Juice of Lime or Dry raw mango powder( to supress the sweet taste of Sweet potato)
5. Salt accordingly and Turmeric- 1/4 th tbsp
6. Oil – 2 tbsp , Cumin seeds and Mustard seeds – 1/2 tbsp each
and finely chopped coriander n Mint leaves
1. Turn IP on Saute mode add Oil and Mustard seeds followed by Cumin seeds. Add finely chopped Onions . Season with salt and Turmeric. Mix well . When Onions are light brown add Grated ginger ,crushed garlic and green chilli paste . Fry for couple of minutes.
2. Add Green peas and finely chopped vegetables. Cook for couple of minutes.
3. Add cubed white potato and sweet potato , Red chilli powder , Coriander and Cumin powder or Sambar Powder . Mix well . Cancel Saute . Close lid. Manual 5 minutes . Unplug when silver button pops up . NPR after 5 to 10 minutes.
NOTE : No need to add water. Keep chopped potato in water till you add to the pot to avoid discoloration. Washed potato will help build the pressure and no burnt bottom.
4. Mash the curry lightly . Cool and squeeze Juice of lime or Mango powder . Taste for salt and spices and add accordingly . Transfer to a Bowl . Mix well and cool the mixture .
5. Divide the mixture into 24 equal parts .
6. Prepare dough with whole wheat flour. Take small Lemon size dough and roll palm size roti with 1/2 inch thick. Place the Potato ball on the rolled roti . Seal from all sides. Grease hands with little oil and shape them like round balls . Repeat the process .
7. Heat the Paniyaram pan on medium heat. Grease the cavities of Paniyaram pan with Oil.
8. Place round samosa in the cavities and cook on medium flame on four sides .
9. When you flip drizzle Oil on each ball. Cook on four sides. It takes 5 to 7 minutes.
10. Cool and Pack in Kids Lunch Box with Dates and Tamarind chutney or Ketchup.
Pack for Luch Box / Breakfast/Appetizer