MANGO BIRYANI – ONE POT MEAL FOR LUNCH/DINNER – INSTANT POT
No school for kids. No rush in the morning to prepare Lunch Box. Usually I pack finger foods or Vada or Pasta or Idli etc for Lunch Box. Some times One pot rice which is easy to prepare in the morning in Instant pot. Both kids need to go for Physicals. Need to prepare quick Lunch before talking them to Pediatrician . ( So they can come and eat Lunch immediately without waiting. What I like about IP , Food stays warm in Instant pot for 3 to 4 hours . No need to transfer to Bowl and refrigerate and reheat ) . As I opened the refrigerator door to pick vegetables I found Raw mango ( Usually I add to Dal or Prepare chutney with it) . Thought I will add to Biryani .( So far I tried 10 different One pot rice recipes with different lentils and vegetables) .Didn’t tried with Raw mango . It turned out good . I added One more Ingredient which changed the taste of Biryani . Can you guess it? Check my recipe for the secret ingredient To make it One pot meal I added Lentils and lot of vegetables. Serve with Raita and Papad . Here is the Simple recipe with every day ingredients.
Lentils have negligible amount of fat and good source of protein without adding any extra fat to the body there by promoting a healthy heart . India has largest number of vegetarians ans Lentils can be a substitute for meat in supplying the required protein . Good source of dietary fiber . Dietary fiber filled food such as Lentils help in controlling blood sugar . Dietary fiber also slows down the rate at which food is absorbed by the blood and thus maintains the sugar level constantly . Lentils have great potential to control cancer growth. Studies conducted at university of Illinois have found that plant lectins a separate type of plant protein originate from foods like lentils , wheat , peanuts have a great influence on cancer cells.Side effects of excessive protein – excessive consumption can pressurize kidneys in flushing out those excess protein in the body . Eat in moderation .Source : HM
Recipe for 3 . Preparation and cooking time : Less than 20 minutes
To 2 cups of Yogurt add 1/4th cup chopped onions, One chopped tomato , 3 Baby carrots grated , Chopped coriander and salt. Heat 1/2 tbsp oil and add 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds . Cool and add to Yogurt( curd) .
1. White Basmati rice Or Brown Basmati rice – 1 cup and Water – 1 1/2 cup
2. Green Lentils – 1/2 cup to 3/4 th cup ( first try with 1/2 cup )
3. VEGETABLES : Onion – thinly sliced , Garlic cloves – 4 ( Peeled and crushed ) , Ginger – small piece ( Paste in Mortar and Pestle ) and fresh Green chilli paste – 2 g ( In mortar and Pestol)
Finely chopped coriander and Mint
SPINACH – 3 Handfuls ( finely chopped)
Tomatoes – 2 chopped , Green Beans and Carrots – 1 cup and One Potato – chopped
Chopped Raw Mango Pieces – 1/2 cup and Mango Pickle – 1 tbsp ( Special Ingredient)
4. Whole Garam Masala – 5 cloves , 3 cardamom , small cinnamon stick , 2 Bay leaves and Cumin seeds
5 . Sambar Powder – 1/2 tbsp ( available in Indian store)
6 . Oil – 3 to 4 tbsp and salt accordingly
1. Soak rice and Green Lentils for half hour . Wash 3 to 4 times and add Water. Add salt to water , taste and add accordingly .
2 Chop Spinach and chop vegetables.
3. Gather all ingredients .
4. Turn Instant pot on saute mode . When warm add Oil . Add whole garam Masala and chopped Onions. Fry till onions are light pink.
5. Add crushed ginger and garlic. Fry for a minute. Add chopped Spinach . Cook for a minute .
6. Add Chopped tomatoes.
7. Add vegetables( Chopped green Beans, carrots , Potato , Chopped raw mango)
8. Add sambar powder and Mango Pickle . Mix well .
9. Add rice ,Lentils with water. Add chopped coriander and mint leaves .
10. Close lid . Rice mode . NPR( 5 TO 7 MINUTES) . . Open lid . Fluff with fork .
SERVE with Vegetable Raita
PRESSURE COOKER : SAME PROCEDURE IN PRESSURE COOKER TOO EXCEPT ADD 2 CUPS WATER INSTEAD OF 1 1/2 CUP WATER .