Karela Masala stir fry – Stove top – Side for Roti or with Steamed rice and Dal – NOT deep fried
Kids are going to like this Bitter free Karela . Serve with Steamed rice and Dal . Do you like Karela( Bitter gourd) and cook frequently . Then you need to try this new recipe. Simple recipe prepared with few ingredients from your pantry. I marinade Karela for an hour to remove bitterness( Karela I buy here are too bitter) . It’s a 3 step recipe. Pan fry Karela , fry Onions, roast and grind Spices . Mix all three. It’s that Simple recipe . You can prepare the Masala powder in your free time and refrigerate it .
Add Oil and Spices according to your taste . As it is bitter , need to marinate at least for an hour. It is a very low Calorie vegetable( If not deep fried) 17 Calories per 100 grams. Good source of fiber and helps in flushing out toxins from body. If you are adding Bitter gourd to your diet , make sure you limit 4 to 5 times in a month . It is a very Old age vegetable and traced back 600 years ago .It is grown widely as a backyard vegetable or as a field crop and commonly found in Africa , Asia . I Marinade karela in tamarind and salt for an hour . This soaking will cut down the bitterness of Karela , will soften and cooks fast with less Oil .
Recipe for 2 .
Preparation time;10 minutes Cooking time : 15 minutes .
MARINADE : Rub the Karela with salt and Marinade in Tamarind juice for an hour. Pour tamarind juice in the slit. So they will become soft and cooks in less time and less oil . Flip in between while you chop Onions and prepare Masala powder .
1. Karela – 6 ( cut into half and make a slit in the middle )
2. Onion – One big ( thinly sliced)
3. Oil – 4 to 6 tbsp , salt and turmeric
4. Tamarind – small Lemon size to marinade Karela
5. Spices to roast and grind – Handful of mixed nuts, Urad dal, Yellow moong dal and Channa dal , 1/2 tbsp Cumin seeeds , 1/2 tbsp Coriander seeds , Fenu greek seeds – 10 and 2 to 4 red chillies. Cool and grind with marble size tamarind and 4 cloves of garlic.
You can add 3 cloves, 2 cardamom and small piece of Cinnamon stick while grinding.
Mix the above spice powder with 1 tbsp curry powder for flavor , color and taste . ( I prepare CURRY POWDER at home and stays good for more than 15 days in refrigerator . I add tbsp for stir fry vegetables , stuffed vegetables , Biryani, Upma etc)
1. Heat a wide pan on medium high heat. Add 2 tbsp oil and place Karela in a single layer. Cover and cook until KARELA is soft ( say 3 to 4 minutes) . Check with knife .
2. Once soft uncover and cook until light brown on 4 sides( takes 4 minutes)
3. Transfer fried Karela to a plate. Cool and stuff with Masala powder
4. Add OIl to the pan and fry Onions till light brown.
5. Add Stuffed Karela and rest of the Masala powder. Squeeze Juice of lime if needed . Add finely chopped Coriander .
SERRVE as a side for Lunch /Dinner . or with STEAMED RICE and VEGETABLE DAL .