Instant pot Tamarind rice – Kids Lunch Box with Urad dal Pakora
Sometimes I pack tamarind rice for Kids Lunch Box with tamarind paste I prepare before hand or with tamarind powder. Over the weekend I tried in Instant pot and it turned out good. Sharing the amount of water , rice and other ingredients to add to enjoy a tasty and fluffy rice with no water left . Along with tamarind rice I packed Urad dal pakora ( Air fryer) . These are easy to prepare pakora’s and are Instant. Do try this combination for Weekend Lunch or Early Dinner. Your family is going to like this combination. Here is the Simple recipe with every day ingredients from your pantry .
RECIPE FOR 3 to 4
INGREDIENTS FOR INSTANT POT TAMARIND RICE :
1. Basmati Rice – 1 cup ( soak for 30 minutes)
2. Water – One 3/4 th cup
3. Tamarind paste – 1/4 th cup or Tamarind powder ( puligore powder) – 3 to 4 tbsp
4. Curry leaves – 15 ( finely chopped ) , Salt and Turmeric- 1/4 th tbsp
5. Seasoning – Urad dal – 2 tbsp , Cumin and Mustard seeds – 1/2 tbsp each , Red chillies – 3 , Green chillies – 4 and handful of roasted Peanuts and cashews
6. Oi – 4 tbsp
1. Turn Instant pot on Saute mode . When warm add Oil followed by Urad dal , cumin and mustard seeds , Red chillies , Green chillies and Turmeric . Mix well .
2. Add Peanuts and Cashews .
3. Add tamarind pulp . Cook for couple of minutes . Add washed and soaked rice , water and salt . Taste water for salt and add accordingly . NOTE : If you want to add tamarind powder ( Puligore powder ) add once you finish cooking rice .
4. Cancel saute . Rice mode . NPR . Take out the inner pot. Fluff the rice. Add tamarind powder. Taste and add accordingly .
5. SERVE with plain curd .
INGREDIENTS and METHOD FOR URAD DAL PAKORA ( PAN FRIED or PANIYARAM PAN and AIR FRYER ) .
1. Soak Urad dal ( One cup) for an hour . Grind without water . Transfer to a bowl .
2.To this add 1/4 th cup APF flour , 3 tbsp Curd( Yogurt ) , finely chopped onions, chopped green chillies , ginger and finely chopped coriander.
3. Cook in Paniyaram pan or Pan fry .
4. Transfer to Air fryer Basket. Bake for 3 minutes at 370 degrees . 5. Serve warm or at room temperature . No need of any dip . They taste good on their own .