Raw Mango Moong dal Rasam – Instant Pot
Our meal is incomplete without rasam or Sambar or Chutney . Now and then I prepare Moong dal rasam on stove top . For today’s Lunch I tried in Instant pot . It’s not regular Moong dal rasam . I squeeze Juice of lime or add tamarind juice . Instead I added grated raw mango . Check my recipe for the amount of water, Vegetables and other ingredients to add to enjoy a tasty and right consistency rasam . You can add store bought rasam powder or Homemade fresh rasam powder by roasting and grinding Spices. Serve with STEAMED RICE or as a side for Lunch / dinner . Even with Appetizers. You can even drink it like a soup by adding Pearl Barley or QUINOA. It’s a Healthy , tasty One pot meal. Here is the Simple recipe with EVERYDAY INGREDIENTS from your Pantry.
Recipe for 4 to 6 . Preparation and Cooking time : 30 minutes
LEFT OVERS WILL TASTE GOOD NEXT DAY . DON’T ADD ANY VEGETABLES. IT WILL TASTE WITH THESE INGREDIENTS.
One cup – Measuring cup
1. Yellow Moong dal – 1/4 th cup ( Soak for 30 minutes) Wash before and after soaking
2. Water – 4 measuring Cups
3. Vegetables – onion – 1 ( finely chopped) , Tomatoes – 4 ( chopped) , Garlic – 6 cloves( Peeled and Crushed) and Curry Leaves
4 . Rasam Powder – 1 tbsp ( store bought or Homade Rasam Powder ) , Red chilli powder – 1/2 tbsp( HOMEMADE RASAM POWDER – DRY ROAST 1/2 tbsp Cumin seeds, 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds , 2 Red chillies , few peppercons, 5 Fenugreek seeds and 5 Curry leaves . Cool and grind .)
5. Oil- 2 tbs[ and Ghee- 1/2 tbsp to add at the end .
6. Grated raw mango – 1/2 cup or Juice of Lime – One
7. Finely chopped Coriander
8. Seasoning – Black split urad dal – 1 tbsp , Cumin seeds and Mustard seeds – 1/2 tbsp each and Red chillies – 2
1. Turn Instant pot on saute mode . when warm add Oil followed by Split Black urad dal , Cumin seeds, Mustard seeds and Broken red chillies.
2. Add chopped Curry leaves , Crushed garlic and ginger. Fry for a minute .
3. Add finely chopped Onions . Season with Salt and Turmeric. Mix well , Close with lid and fry till Onions are light brown ,
4. Add 4 Chopped tomatoes, Rasam powder, red chilli powder, soaked Moong dal and water. Close the lid .
5 . Manual 10 minutes. Unplug when you see low.
6. Open the lid and add finely chopped Coriander leaves and 1/2 or 1 tbsp ghee.
7. Cool some time and add grated Raw mango or squeeze juice of Lime.
SERVE with STEAMED RICE and PAPAD or as a side for your Lunch/Dinner or With Grains of your choice.
NOTE : YOU CAN ADD TADKA (SEASONING) ONE MORE TIME AT THE END for extra TASTE N FLAVOR .