Zucchini Vegetable Sambar – Instant Pot – 5 main ingredients
with Barley Lentils Pakora/ Instant Chickpeas ( BESAN) rava dosa
Recipe for 4 .
I tried one more short cut method of preparing Vegetable sambar in Instant pot without adding soaked Dal. It doesn’t taste raw and cooked perfectly in less time and time saving . Sambar is a simple recipe prepared with Vegetables , Lentils and Spices and served with Breakfast( with Idli , Dosa, Upma ) or as a side for Lunch /Dinner . You can eat with just Steamed rice or with Appetizers like vada( Prepared with Lentils) . Right amount of vegetables with right consistency ( Not too thick and not too thin) . Left over Sambar taste good for next day If you want to pack for Lunch Box. I cooked for Dinner to serve with barley Lentils pakora and stays warm for 3 to 4 hours in IP . You can even serve with Instant Chickpea flour Dosa for Lunch as Kids are at home for Summer Vacation . Here is the Simple recipe prepared with every day Ingredients.
Serve for Breakfast/ lunch / Dinner with Barley Lentil Paniyaram or with Instant Chickpea flour Rava Dosa .
1. VEGETABLES :
Zucchini – 2 ( chopped into big pieces) or Lauki( green squash ) – Medium size ( Peeled and Chopped into big pieces)
Onion – Medium ( sliced ) , Garlic – 6 cloves ( Peeled and crushed ) , Ginger – Small piece , Grated
Potato – 3 , Tomatoes – 2 chopped and Carrots and finely chopped coriander
4. Toor Dal – 1/4 th cup and Tomato to grind with Toor dal
5. Tamarind extract – 1/2 cup and Jaggery – 2 tbsp ( Brown sugar)
6. Water – One cup and 1/2 cup to cook with Toor dal
7. Oil – 2 tbsp and Ghee – 1 tbsp
STOVE TOP METHOD :
1. Soak Toor dal for 1/2 hour and wash 3 to 4 times before you microwave. Microwave with 1/2 cup water. Cool and Grind with One tomato .
2. Heat a Sauce Pan or Pressure cooker . When warm add Oil . Splutter Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, Black Split Urad dal , Red chillies, Hing and Curry Leaves.
3. Add thinly sliced Onions fry till golden brown. Season with salt and Turmeric . Add crushed Ginger and Garlic and fry couple minutes.
4. Add Chopped Lauki or Zucchini , Chopped tomato , Chopped potato , Carrots , Tomato , sambar powder, Tamarind extract with 1/2 cup water , Jaggery and One measuring cup water .
5. Pressure cook for 2 whistles . When Pressure comes down add Ghee and finely chopped Coriander .
1. Soak toor dal . Wash and microwave for 3 minutes . Cool and grind with 1/2 cup water and One tomato .
2. Turn Instant pot on Saute mode . When warm add Oil . Splutter Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, Black Split urad dal, Red chillies , Hing, Crushed Garlic , ginger. Fry for a minute. Add thinly sliced Onions. Season with salt and turmeric. Fry till Onions are brown .
3. Add Chopped Zucchini , chopped Potato ,Carrots and Tomato.
4. Add Sambar powder, Tamarind extract , Jaggery , Toor dal water and One more cup water . Close lid .
5. Manual 5 minutes. Unplug when silver button pops up. NPR . Open lid and add Ghee and finely chopped Coriander .
TASTE for salt and Spices and add accordingly
1. Soak 1 cup Urad dal , 1/2 cup Channa dal , 3/4 th cup Barley and 3/4 th Brown Basmati rice , Fenugreek seeds for 2 hours.
2. Grind with Sufficient water and salt .
3. Ferment overnight in Instant pot or on Kitchen counter or in Oven . ( If you ferment paniyaram won’t be dense ) or If you don’t want to ferment add Yogurt to the batter along with chopped vegetables .
4. To One cup of fermented batter add Chopped Onions, Green chilli paste, Grated carrots, Chopped ginger and finely chopped coriander .
5. Heat Paniyaram pan on medium heat. Grease the cavities with little Oil . When warm pour 2 tbsp batter and cook for 2 minutes on Medium flame.
6. After 2 minutes flip them and cook on 4 sides.
SERVE with ZUCCHINI VEGETABLE SAMBAR