Ridge Gourd Tomato Chutney with Almonds and Spices. Vegetable Chutney for BREAKFAST recipes like IDLI, DOSA, VADA , UPMA or with any other APPETIZER or as a Side for LUNCH / DINNER.
Now I found an easy way to feed RIDGE GOURD for my Kids . Ridge gourd Almond chutney with Masala Dosa .
Recipe for 5 to 6 People .
Preparation and Cooking Time : 30 Minutes.
Ridge Gourd is the fruit of Sub tropical vine that belongs to the Cucumber Family and is native to Central and Eastern Asia including the Indian Sub Continent .The fruit goes by many names including Ridge Gourd , Silk or Silky Gourd or Sponge Gourd and Vegetable Gourd. It is similar in Color and size to a Zucchini , but instead of being smooth it is ridged from top to bottom.
Ayurveda has Credited Ridge Gourd a special status for delivering many Health Benefits because of its bountiful of Minerals that are alkaline and hence considered as bringing a Cooling effect on the Human body.It is high in Water content and ideal choice for anyone who want to LOOSE WEIGHT. Low in fat , Cholestrol and HIGH in Dietary Fiber . The Fiber that contains in Ridge Gourd is important for Weight loss . Fiber digests slowly which keeps you feeling full for longer.Very high in Moisture Content just like Cucumber and Low in Calories with 20 per 1/2 Cup Serving and has high Beta Carotene that is good for eyes.
You can include Ridge Gourd in Many Dishes because of its Mild Flavor. Chopped and Sauted Ridge Gourd with Dals and Spices make a HEALTHY SIDE DISH . You can even cook this Watery Vegetable with Less Oil. Even the Skin of Ridge Gourd has Nutritional Value . So don’t Peel the Skin . As it is Low in Calories it is Good for Diabetic People.
The Vegetable is Often used in Stir Fries and Soups in Vietnam and is also important in various regional Cuisines in India especially in Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Karnataka and Maharashtra.It is Popular as a Vegetable in various regional Cuisines in Asia, but it is edible before it is fully ripen and check for BITTERNESS before Cooking. Source : Health Magazines.
1.Ridge Gourd – 2
2. Semi riped Tomato’s – 2 Big
3. Green Chillies – 2 or 1 Mild Spicy
4. Salt as per taste
5. Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp.
6. Oil – 3 tbsp.
7. Onions – 1/4 th Cup Chopped ( Optional)
8. Curry Leaves – 5
9. Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves
10. Tamarind – Marble Size
11. Juice of Lime – 1/2 to 1
12. SEASONING :
Channa dal – 2 tbsp. , Urad dal – 1 tbsp. , Cumin and Mustard seeds – 1/2 tbsp. each , red chillies – 4 Broken, Hing – Pinch
SPICES and DALS to ROAST :
1. Almonds – Handful ,2. Sesame seeds – 2 tbsp. , 3. Channa Dal – Handful , 4. Mustard seeds 5. Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp. 6. Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp. 7. Fenu greek seeds – 1/2 tbsp. 8 . Red chillies – 1 or 2
1. Peel the ridge of the Ridge Gourd very lightly with Peeler . Cut into small Pieces . Chop the Tomato’s . Don’t Peel the Skin . Note : Taste test a small piece of Ridge Gourd before cooking for BITTERNESS.
2. Heat 1 tbsp. Oil and Cook Ridge gourd with Chopped Tomato ,Green Chillies , little Salt , Cumin seeds and Turmeric. Mix well. Close the Lid and Cook on Medium High Flame. Stir in between to avoid Burning . Cook Until Ridge Gourd is soft. Once the Ridge Gourd is Soft remove the lid and Cook till water evaporates.
.3. Mean while Dry roast almonds , Channa Dal , Spices and Red chillies .Cool the Spices , Almonds and dals and grind with Little Salt and Tamarind . Transfer to a bowl.
4 .Cool the Ridge Gourd before grinding. After grinding Spices , grind Ridge Gourd , Tomato’s and Green Chillies Coarsely. Transfer to spice powder bowl and mix well.
5. Heat 2 tbsp. Oil and add Channa Dal , Mustard seeds followed by Urad dal ,Cumin seeds , Hing , Crushed Garlic and Curry Leaves. Add ridge gourd Chutney to the Seasoning and fry for Couple of Minutes .
6. Squeeze Juice of Lime and add finely chopped Coriander Leaves , Chopped Onions. Mix well . Check for Salt and adjust accordingly .
SERVE this Chutney with BREAKFAST recipes like IDLY, DOSA , VADA , UPMA or any other appetizers.
1.Do not Skip any Spices and Dals. Gives good taste for the Chutney.
2. Squeeze Juice of Lime and add Finely Chopped raw ONIONS not Cooked and Coriander Leaves.
3. Seasoning with Hing and Garlic gives nice flavor for the Chutney.
4. Taste a small piece of Ridge Gourd before cooking for bitterness. If bitter don’t use for cooking.
4. EASY TO UNDERSTAND:
1. Roast the Dals and Spices
2. Cook Ridge Gourd , Tomato and Green Chillies .Grind Dals and Spices followed by Ridge Gourd ,Tomato and Green Chilies.
3 .Add the Seasoning .
Serve even with STEAMED RICE, INDIAN BREAD ( Phulka , Chapathi or Plain Paratha) OR with Masala Dosa .