Green Whole Moong Dal Curry with Cauliflower Tadka. A make over for traditional Moong dal curry . It’s a 2 step Cooking, but worth a try with everyday ingredients from your Pantry. Planned to prepare Moong Dal curry . But want some variation . Looked into the refrigerator and saw few florets of Cauliflower . Thought of adding with tomatoes. But I want some crispy texture of the vegetable and don’t want to get mixed in the Curry . So prepared Special Tadka with Cauliflower .First you cook Moong Dal curry. In a separate Pan prepare Cauliflower tadka and add to the Moongdal Curry. This way the florets will be crispy and not overcooked . You will taste and smell the nice aroma of Garlic , ginger , Curry Powder , Hing along with a hint from Lime juice.Key ingredients for the recipe are Curry powder ( Blend of Red chilli Powder , Coriander and Cumin powder , Garlic and Coriander leaves with stems) and CAULIFLOWER TADKA.
Ginger and Garlic are very effective in reducing inflammation , fighting infections and preventing Cancer. A 2013 study published in ” Food and Chemical Toxicology ” showed allicin , the active substance in Garlic to be a Potentially effective treatment for Chronic inflammatory diseases. Green gram also known as Mungbean is high in fiber . One cup has 15 grams of fiber , 14 grams of Protein and helps you meet your daily Iron needs, Combining Green gram with Vitamin C rich food helps with Iron absorption . One serving of cooked Green gram is not more than 100 Calories and keeps you full for longer period of time. Source : Health Magazines. The curry has a unique taste and flavor from the Special tadka with Cauliflower , Herbs and Spices.
Recipe for 3 People . Preparation and Cooking time : 30 Minutes .
1. Whole Green Moong Dal – 1/2 Cup raw
2. Potato – 1
3. Tomatoes -2 ( Chopped)
4. Cauliflower florets – 25 ( small florets )
5. Onion – Medium ( Chopped)
6. Garlic cloves – 6 ( chopped)
7. Ginger – Small piece ( chopped)
8. Curry powder – 1 1/2 tbsp to 2 tbsp ( Blend of red chilli powder , coriander and Cumin powder , fenugreek powder , Garlic and Coriander leaves with stems)
9. Pav Bhaji masala – 1/2 tbsp
10. Oil – 2 to 3 tbsp
11. Salt and Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp
12. Finely chopped coriander Leaves
13. Seasoning ( Tadka) – Cauliflower florets – 25 , Garlic and Ginger – chopped , Cumin and Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp , Hing , Red chillies – 4 ( Broken) , Curry Powder – 1 tbsp , Juice of Half Lime .
1. Soak whole Green Moong Dal overnight or for 5 to6 Hours. Pressure Cook with 1/2 Measuring cup water , salt and Potato for 3 whistles on medium High heat .
2 . When Pressure comes down transfer Green Moong dal with Water into a Bowl. Cut Potato into Cubes .
3. Heat 1 tbsp Oil and saute Onions with little salt and Turmeric. Once Onions are Brown add chopped Tomatoes and Cooked Moong dal with water and Potato.
4. Add Curry powder ( 1 tbsp) and Pav Bhaji masala ( 1/2 tbsp ) . Bring to Boil . Once it comes to Boil , switch off the stove.
5. In a wide pan heat 1 tbsp Oil and fry Cauliflower florets. Once Cauliflower florets are Brown , push them aside.Add 1 more tbsp Oil and fry Chopped Garlic , Ginger , Cumin and Mustard seeds, Hing and Broken Red chillies. Sprinkle Curry powder on Cauliflower florets . Mix with the Seasoning. Squeeze juice of Lime.
6. Add this CAULIFLOWER TADKA to the MOONG DAL . Mix gently . Add finely chopped Coriander Leaves.