Cauliflower Popcorn with Chickpea flour and Spices
– Dinner at Five OR Kids Lunch Box with Coconut Rice and Salad . Next time when you crave for Popcorn and looking for something crunchy and tasty for this holiday season, then this is the right recipe(try this Cauliflower Popcorn) . Kids who doesn’t like Cauliflower will like to nibble . Serve with Homemade pickled vegetables which is Perfect combination. Cauliflower sprinkled with turmeric ( which contains the powerful golden hued Polyphenol Curcumin ) is powderful in fighting diseases and has 46 percent of Vitamin K . Vitamin K is critical in Blood clotting . There are 3 types of Vitamin K . K1 , K2 and K3 . Vitamin K1 is found naturally in plants and helps in blood clotting. K2 is made by the bacteria that line your gastro intestinal tract. Cosuming adequate amount of fruits and Vegetables maintains your body’s Vitamin K requirement . Good source of Vitamin C . One serving of Cauliflower contains 77 percent of the recommended daily value of Vitamin C . Source : Health Magazines .
It is Simple recipe you can prepare in no time . Prepare a thick batter with spices so the vegetable is coated with batter. No need to shallow fry , you can pan fry them and are still Crispy . Season with Chaat masala . I even shared how to prepare Coconut rice and pickled vegetables in case if you want to pack for Kids Lunch Box.
Preparation time : 15 minutes and Cooking time : 15 minutes
Recipe for 4 People .
1. Cauliflower florets ( small as shown in the Picture ) – 10 to 15 small florets per person
2. Chickpea flour – 1/2 cup
3. Rice flour – Half cup
4. Curry Powder – 1 tbsp ( Blend of red chilli powder, Coriander and cumin powder , Garlic and coriander leaves)
5. Ajwain – 1/2 tbsp 6. Oil – 4 tbsp or accordingly
7 . Very finely chopped Coriander leaves
1. Mix Chickpea flour , Rice flour , Curry powder, Salt , Ajwain and finely chopped Coriander leaves with sufficient water . The batter must be thick to coat the Vegetable .
2. Cut the cauliflower florets to the size of a Popcorn . So it will cook fast . Soak the florets in salt water for 10 minutes. Wash 3 to 4 times. Shake out excess water. Season the florets with Salt and Spices .
Recipe for COCONUT RICE :
1. Heat 1 tbsp Oil and fry handful of Peanuts or Cashews , Channadal ( Handful) . When they are half done add Urad dal , Cumin seeds, Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp each , Red chillies and Curry leaves .
2 Switch off the stove and add Cooked and Cooled Basmati Rice ( White or Brown) . Season with salt .
3. Add 1/4 th cup Dry coconut and chopped Green chillies (2 ) and Chopped Ginger.
4. Mix well. Check for Salt and adjust accordingly .
5. Note : You can fry green chillies and Ginger along with Peanuts or you can add at the end. So it won’t be spicy for Kids .
Recipe for PICKLED VEGETABLES :
In a bowl mix sliced Onions, sliced Cucumber and carrot sticks. Season with Salt , Red chilli powder , Roasted Cumin powder, ajwain . Squeeze with juice of lime. Mix well and store in air tight container .Leave overnight in the refrigerator or on Kitchen counter.