Vegetarian Dinner – After Long Weekend ( Steamed rice with Sweet potato Dal , Raw mango Raita , Okra ( Bhindi) stir fry with Raw mango Lentils and Salad, Papad and Phulka( Indian Bread) .
Back to school after Long weekend ( Thanks giving Holidays) . I didn’t cook Dinner during Holidays as Kids have Movie Play date with their friends, Watched Cocoa and Wonder and had Dinner in near by Italian restaurant. But we had Lunch at home. I cook Vegetable Biryani or Kichidi during Holidays. We will eat at least 2 meals at home . So for today’s Dinner I prepared full fledged meal . Yes craving for Home made food with Vegetables and Raita . When ever kids doesn’t have After School activities I encourage them to eat early Dinner and I don’t offer After School snack. My older one makes excuses to eat Dinner because of her home work . She keeps postponing. In elementary they don’t have much Homework but in Middle and High school the real work starts. So I make sure she eats Dinner early. In today’s Dinner I prepared 3 Unique recipes which taste good and takes less time to prepare.
I prepared Dal with Sweet Potato and 3 types Lentils . It is not going to be sweet because of the Spices I added , Lime juice and rich in taste with Garlic seasoning. I’m having raw mango in the refrigerator. I grinded with green chillies, ginger and dry coconut and added at the end after switching of the stove in Okra stir fry. I never tried Raw mango raita but it turned out delicious. My new creation . Saved 3 tbsp before adding to Okra ( Bhindi ) stir fry. Try these 3 UNIQUE RECIPES prepared with few every day ingredients .
1. Grind 3 Green chillies , small piece of Ginger, 2 handfuls of Dry coconut with little salt. Transfer to a Bowl . To this add grated raw mango . Mix well . ( Save 3 tbsp to add to Raw mango raita) .
2. Dry roast 2 tbsp Urad dal , 2 tbsp Channa dal or Handful Peanuts , 1 tbsp Cumin seeds and 1 tbsp Coriander seeds, 2 tbsp sesame seeds and 3 Red chilli powder. Cool and grind into fine Powder.
3. Heat a wide pan and add Cut Okra ( Bhindi , Cut in an angle so it will retain shape after finish cooking ) , 2 tbsp Oil . Don’t add Salt. Cover and cook for 5 minutes on Medium high flame. Stir in between without touching the Vegetable . So it won’t be mushy . Once Okra is soft , Uncover or Keep lid half open and cook until it is Brown . If needed add 2 more tbsp Oil
4. Once Okra is Brown, Switch off the stove . Wait for 5 minutes and add Lentils Powder and Raw mango . Stir gently . Check for Salt and Spices and add accordingly .
5. Add finely chopped Coriander Leaves .
1. Heat 1 tbsp Oil and add One tbsp Cumin seeds, 1/2 tbsp Mustard seeds , 1 tbsp Black split urad dal and 2 Broken red chillies. Cool this before adding to raita .
2. To 3 cups of Yogurt add 3 tbsp grinded raw mango coconut mixture , 1/2 cup grated carrots , Chopped coriander and Curry leaves . Mix gently .
3. Add the seasoning. Taste for salt and spices and add accordingly .
1. Soak 1/2 cup Dal ( Toor dal , Channa dal and Yellow Moong dal ) for 1/2 hour . Wash and pressure cook with Water and One Sweet potato for 3 Whistles. Once pressure comes down transfer the dal into a Bowl . Peel the Sweet potato and mash it.
2. Heat 2 tbsp Oil and add 1 tbsp Black split urad dal , 1 tbsp Cumin seeds , Mustard seeds, 3 Red chillies and Pinch of Hing .
3. Add chopped Onion . Fry until brown . Add grated garlic and grated ginger. Fry for couple of minutes . Add 2 chopped tomatoes . Cook until soft . Add Curry powder ( 1 tbsp) or Sambar powder or Rasam powder .
4. Add 1/2 Box of chopped Spinach , Cooked dal with mashed sweet potato. Mix and bring to Boil .
5. Taste for salt and spices and add accordingly . Cool it down and squeeze Juice of Lime.