Jowar Vegetable Upma – Kids Lunch Box /Dinner with Plain Yogurt , Coconut Pistachio Ladoo and Sliced cucumber
We like to eat IDLI ( Steamed cakes prepared with Lentils and Grains) for Breakfast. I tried 10 different Idli recipes( I shared Link at the end of my post) for Breakfast and sometimes I pack for Kids Lunch Box. (They taste good at room temperature. I pack with Mixed Nuts chutney or Coconut raita. Perfect combination for idli ). When ever I prepare Idli for Breakfast I cook extra for Dinner. We eat for Breakfast . For Dinner I crumble idli ‘s and add good amount of Vegetables , raw mango or juice of Lime and cooked Beans . It almost taste like Lime Rice but a healthy version . My kids like to eat with Plain Yogurt and I don’t need to worry about feeding vegetables for dinner/Weekend Lunch . In today’s recipe I prepared Idli with Lentils and Jowar flour . Ferment Overnight for soft and fluffy Idli’s . Here is the Simple recipe you can prepare in less time if you have cooked Idli’s ( Preparing Idli is not difficult. Soak ( 3 hours) , Grind( 5 minutes in a regular Blender ) and Ferment over night ( Fermentation helps in Protein digestion)
Jowar is high in fiber compared to other grains . Whole jowar kernels can be steamed , Boiled , ground into flour and can can be added to prepare Roti’s ( Indian Bread) . It is good for people trying to loose weight . High in fiber which lowers the risk of Obesity , Diabetes , Cholesterol and digestive problems . One serving of Jowar contains 12 grams of dietary fiber which is 43 percent daily allowance of fiber for average adult as recommended . Jowar contains tannins an agent found in the coating of the seeds in dark jowar grains which prevents the body from absorbing the protein , vitamins and minerals . Remove the seed coating of jowar prior to eating or consume only Yellow or white Jowar which contains relatively low quantities of tannins.
Recipe Link :
Recipe for 4 . Preparation time : 15 minutes Cooking time : 10 minutes
1. Crumbled Jowar Idli’s – 8
2. Onion – Medium ( finely chopped)
3. Grated carrots and vegetables of your choice
4. Green peas – One cup cooked
5. Green chillies – 3 ( Mild or zero spicy) and Ginger – chopped small piece
6. Oil – 2 tbsp
7. Roasted Peanuts – Handful
8. curry leaves and Finely chopped coriander
9. Seasoning – Black Split Urad dal , Mustard seeds and Cumin seeds – 1/2 tbsp each , Hing – Pinch and Broken Red chillies – 4
10 . Grated Raw mango or Juice of Lime . 11. Rasam Powder or Curry Powder or sambar powder – 1/2 tbsp to 1 tbs
1. Heat 2 tbsp Oil and add Mustard seeds followed by Black split Urad dal , Cumin seeds, Broken red chillies , Green chillies , Ginger , curry leaves and Onions .
2. Once Onions are light Brown add finely chopped vegetables .
3. When vegetables are cooked add Green Peas, Grated carrots and Crumbled Jowar idli . Mix gently . Add salt and Curry powder .
4. Switch off the stove .
5. Add finely chopped coriander leaves, Grated raw mango or Juice of Lime and roasted Peanuts. Mix well . Taste for salt and spices and add accordingly .