INSTANT POT KARELA ( BITTER GOURD) PICKLE – 5 INGREDIENTS with Steamed rice, Ghee and ALMOND CHUTNEY POWDER
Today I’m sharing Karela ( Bitter gourd) Pickle I tried in Instant pot . Instead of deep frying I tried in IP . Simple and Easy Pickle prepared with 5 ingredients and Less cooking time .Comes in handy on days when you don’t want to cook any vegetable . We like to eat with Steamed rice, Ghee and Almond chutney Powder . It is a two – step Cooking . But worth a try.Stays good in the refrigerator for more than 7 days . Add Oil and Spices according to your taste . As it is bitter , need to marinate at least for an hour. It is a very low Calorie vegetable( If not deep fried) 17 Calories per 100 grams. Good source of fiber and helps in flushing out toxins from body. If you are adding Bitter gourd to your diet , make sure you limit 4 to 5 times in a month . It is a very Old age vegetable and traced back 600 years ago .It is grown widely as a backyard vegetable or as a field crop and commonly found in Africa , Asia . I Marinade karela( Bitter gourd) in Tamarind and salt for an hour . This soaking will cut down the bitterness of Karela , will soften and cooks fast with less Oil . . It’s Unique in flavor and taste.
Here is the Simple recipe with 5 Ingredients and Less Cooking time . No water added and No burnt bottom. SERVE as a side Lunch /Dinner . or with STEAMED RICE , GHEE and ALMOND CHUTNEY POWDER .
RECIPE FOR ALMOND CHUTNEY POWDER :
1. ALMONDS – 1/2 CUP and Peanuts – 1/2 cup
2. Sesame seeds – 2 tbsp
3. Dry coconut – 1/4 th cup
4. Cumin seeds and Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp each
5. Garlic cloves – 4
6. Tamarind – 2 Marble size or Dry mango powder
8. Red chilli Powder – 2 tbsp
9. Curry Leaves – 5 ( Optional)
10. Fenu greek seeds – 5 and Mustard seeds – 1/4 th tbsp
1. Dry roast Almonds and Peanuts . When both are 3/4 th done add Sesame seeds, Coriander and Cumin seeds, Fenu greek seeds n Mustard seeds . Switch off the stove and add Curry leaves and Tamarind.Cool before grinding.
2. Grind roasted Almonds ,Peanuts , Sesame seeds , Fenugreek seeds , Mustard seeds ,Coriander and Cumin seeds , Dry coconut , Garlic cloves , Red chilli Powder , Salt , Washed and dried Curry leaves and tamarind into a fine Powder.
3. Store in a air tight Container.
1. Karela – Cut into 2 inch thick pieces .
2. Red chilli powder , Cumin powder , Fenu greek seeds Powder and Mustard Powder – 3 tbsp or accordingly , Salt , turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp
3. Oil – 4 tbsp or accordingly
4. Crushed Garlic cloves – 6
5. Juice of Lime .
1. Cut Karela into 2 inch pieces . Marinade in tamarind juice and salt for an hour . After an hour discard the marinade liquid. Don’t squeeze .
2. Turn IP on saute mode . When warm add Oil and Karela pieces .Close lid . Manual 2 minutes. Unplug when you see silver button pops up . NPR .
3. Open the lid . Transfer Karela to a Bowl . Disacard the liquid.
4. Turn IP on saute mode . When it displays hot add Oil and Karela pieces in single layer. Fry on both sides till Brown . It takes a minute to brown on each side. Once brown leave in the Inner Pot . So they will be more crispy with heat from inner pot .
5. Transfer to a Bowl . Add Oil to inner pot and add crushed Garlic , Karela Pieces, Red chilli powder , Cumin powder , Fenugreek seeds powder and Mustard powder. Mix gently . Squeeze Juice of Lime. Taste for salt and spices and add accordingly .
OTHER INSTANT POT KARELA RECIPES :
STUFFED KARELA :
KARELA ( BITTER GOURD) – 90 PERCENT bitter free with TAMARIND and JAGGERY