Karela(Bitter gourd) Masala stir fry – Instant pot – Side for Roti – 99 percent bitter free with Steamed rice and Cucumber Mixed dal . Stays good for 3 to 4 days. Some vegetables taste good for next day like Okra, Tindora , Karela , vegetable sambar etc Left overs taste good for next day.
This is the fourth Karela recipe I tried in Instant pot . I have already shared Stuffed Karela , Sweet and Sour Karela and Karela Pickle . I’m sharing recipe link at the end of the post for all the 3 recipes I tried in Instant pot. Now I’m cooking karela every week because of Instant pot. Less time and One pot to clean at the end . Today I’m sharing an easy and mouth watering karela recipe in 3 easy steps. Fry karela , roast and grind the masala powder and saute Onions. Mix all 3 together . It’s that simple and easy to prepare. You can prepare masala powder in your free time and store in an air tight container and in refrigerator. Then it will be a 10 to 15 minutes recipe. I marinated Karela for an hour ( the Karela I buy here are too bitter . So need to marinate to remove some bitterness ) . Here is the simple recipe with everyday ingredients from your pantry.
Add Oil and Spices according to your taste . As it is bitter , need to marinate at least for an hour. It is a very low Calorie vegetable( If not deep fried) 17 Calories per 100 grams. Good source of fiber and helps in flushing out toxins from body. If you are adding Bitter gourd to your diet , make sure you limit 4 to 5 times in a month . It is a very Old age vegetable and traced back 600 years ago .It is grown widely as a backyard vegetable or as a field crop and commonly found in Africa , Asia . I Marinade karela in tamarind and salt for an hour . This soaking will cut down the bitterness of Karela , will soften and cooks fast with less Oil .
Recipe for 3 to 4 . Preparation and Cooking time : 30 minutes
MARINADE : Rub the Karela with salt and Marinade in Tamarind juice for an hour. Pour tamarind juice in the slit. So they will become soft and cooks in less time and less oil . Flip in between while you chop Onions and prepare Masala powder .
1. Karela – 6 ( cut into half and make a slit in the middle )
2. Onion – One big ( thinly sliced)
3. Oil – 4 to 6 tbsp , salt and turmeric
4. Tamarind – small Lemon size to marinade Karela
5. Spices to roast and grind – Handful of mixed nuts, Urad dal, Yellow moong dal and Channa dal , 1/2 tbsp Cumin seeeds , 1/2 tbsp Coriander seeds , Fenu greek seeds – 10 and 2 to 4 red chillies. Cool and grind with marble size tamarind and 4 cloves of garlic.
You can add 3 cloves, 2 cardamom and small piece of Cinnamon stick while grinding.
Mix the above spice powder with 1 tbsp curry powder for flavor , color and taste . ( I prepare CURRY POWDER at home and stays good for more than 15 days in refrigerator . I add tbsp for stir fry vegetables , stuffed vegetables , Biryani, Upma etc)
1. Turn IP on saute mode. When warm add Oil . Place Karela in single layer. Close the lid . Manual 3 minutes. Umplug when you see low.
2. Open the lid. Transfer Karela to a plate . Discard water in inner pot .
3. Turn IP on saute mode. When it displays HOT add 4 tbsp oil and spread in inner pot. Place Karela and fry till light brown ( One minute on each side . Flip in between ) .
4. Unplug and leave KARELA in inner pot so they will get more crispy .
5. Stuff Karela with Masala powder .
6. Turn IP on saute to fry Onions. Add Oil followed by mustard seeds, Cumin seeds and Onions. Season with salt and turmeric. Add curry leaves. Cover with glass lid and fry till light brown.
7. Unplug and add fried stuffed Karela and the rest of Masala powder . 8. If it still bitter or if you like squeeze Juice of HALF LIME .
SERVE with Steamed rice or as a side for your Lunch /Dinner
RECIPE LINKs for STUFFED KARELA , SWEET and SOUR KARELA and KARELA PICKLE .
Recipe LINK FOR KARELA(BITTER GOURD) PICKLE : Stays good for more than a week .https://vegetarianhomestylecooking2015.wordpress.com/2018/08/29/Instant
Recipe Link for SWEET and SOUR KARELA( BITTER GOURD) https://vegetarianhomestylecooking2015.wordpress.com/2018/03/06/Karela