Red Kidney Beans Pakora (Not Deep Fried) – Kids Lunch Box with Sweet Rice ( Rice cooker recipe)
I always keep some Cooked Beans in refrigerator to add for Salads or Chaat or for quick snacking. Thinking how to pack Red kidney Beans in Kids Lunch Box. I bought Paniyaram pan recently and I’m using it to fry pakora’s instead of Shallow frying. As Red kidney Beans are cooked there is no need to shallow fry and these Pakora’s absorb very less Oil ,I used tbsp Oil to fry these Pakora’s . If you don’t have the paniyaram pan , shape them like patties and pan fry them . This weekend I bought roasted Upma mix( Wheat) from grocery store. I mixed with mashed Red kidney Beans to absorb the moisture and at the same time it will help in binding with other ingredients. If you don’t have roasted upma mix you can use Semolina ( Sooji) or Fine wheat rava or Bread slices . Prepare as shown in the picture and refrigerate . Mix in the morning before cooking. Along with it I packed Sweet rice ( I cooked in Rice cooker . It took 15 minutes . ) It tastes like prasadam offered in temples. My kids liked the combination. I try new recipes for Weekend Lunch and then pack in the following week . Need very few ingredients to prepare the Sweet Rice. Here is the Simple recipe for Red Kidney beans Pakora and Sweet rice .
NOTE : You can prepare both recipes night before and refrigerate. Warm for one minute before packing for Kids Lunch Box. My elder goes early before 7 A.m . Sometimes I cook night before and refrigerate. You can cook fresh in the morning .
I like packing these in Lunch Box because they are easy to prepare and taked 10 minutes to prepare 3 Lunch Boxes and taste good at room temperature.
Most of the focus on nutrition tends to be on reducing fat intake and increasing the consumption of vitamin rich foods and protein is easily overlooked. As person ages and during certain life stages like pregnancy , protein intake becomes especially crucial for health and proper body function. Like any dietary component low protein levels can have serious health consequences . If the body doesn’t get enough protein it starts breaking down muscle , which can result in loss of muscle mass. According to Harvard School of Public Health lack of protein can also negatively affect growth , immunity and the heart and respiratory systems. Since the body can’t store Protein it must be continually replenished through foods . Quality protein can be found in foods like Legumes – Add a serving of 1/2 cup of cooked dried beans to your daily intake for a healthy protein boost of about 7 grams. Source – HM
Pack for KIDS LUNCH BOX with Ketchup or Dates tamarind chutney , SWEET RICE , Cucumber and fruit .
Recipe for 12 Pakora’s .
Preparation and Cooking time: 30 minutes
1. Cooked and Mashed Red kidney beans – One Measuring cup
2. Oats or Roasted Upma mix ( Wheat rava ) or Semolina( Sooji ) or Whole wheat Bread ( 4 slices ) or Fine wheat rava – 1 cup
3. Cooked and Mashed Potato – 1
4. Yogurt( Curd) – 2 tbsp
5. Curry powder – 1 tbsp or Rasam powder or Sambar powder
6. Green chilli paste
7. Chopped vegetables, Onions , Grated Carrots , Chopped Spinach
8. Salt to taste
9. Oil – One tbsp
1. Mix Cooked and Mashed Red kidney Beans , Mashed Potato , Chopped vegetables, grated Carrot , Chopped Spinach , Curd , Salt , Curry powder, green chilli paste, Ginger and garlic , Roasted Upma mix or Semolina ( Sooji) or Bread slices . Taste for salt and Spices and add accordingly . Keep aside for 10 minutes without mixing chopped vegetables .
2. Divide into 12 equal portions and shape like ball and Grease with Oil .
3. Grease the cavities of Paniyaram pan with little Oil .Heat Paniyaram pan on Medium heat. When warm enough place each ball in the cavities. Cook on all sides .
4. Keep an eye otherwise they will get burnt.
5. When it brown on all sides transfer to a plate . Cool and pack in Lunch Box with Ketchup or Dates Tamarind Chutney .
RECIPE FOR SWEET RICE IN RICE COOKER – Cooking time – 15 minutes . You can cook night before and refrigerate. Warm for One minute before Packing into Kids Lunch Box.
1. Soak 1/2 cup Basamti rice for Half hour to One hour . Wash and transfer to Rice cooker Bowl.Add 1 1/2 cup milk , 4 tbsp Jaggery ( Brown sugar) . Mix well . Taste for sweetness and add accordingly .
2. Add handful or two handfuls of roasted cashews , Almonds and Pistachio’s . 4 powdered cardamom , Handful raisins and 1/2 tbsp ghee.
3. It will take less than 15 minutes .
Cool and pack for Lunch Box with Red kidney pakora. KIDS are going to like this combination. TRY for Weekend Lunch before packing for Kids Lunch Box .