Vegetable Upma – Kids Lunch Box /Dinner
RECIPE LINK for MIXED NUTS LADOO and BAKED CHICKPEA CRACKERS.
Do you like to eat Home cook food during Holidays and spend less time in kitchen . I shared three simple ans easy recipes you can prepare in very less time. Why I named this as Vegetable Upma ? I added good amount of Veggies. Preparing DINNER or KIDS LUNCH BOX in 15 minutes . Sounds good right . Enjoy this tasty One pot meal with Lime Juice pickle or little sugar. For Kids Lunch Box I packed with MIXED NUTS LADOO and BAKED CHICKPEA CRACKERS. I shared link for both. Vegetable Upma is a Simple and tasty One pot meal for Lunch /Dinner / Kids Lunch Box. If you don’t like Upma you will like this combination with Vegetables. This is a quick fix Dinner for me over the weekends or on days when I have to take Kids for After school activities. It takes less than 15 minutes to prepare and cook from start to finish . As I roast Vermicelli and Sooji I quickly chop vegetables or use FROZEN MIXED VEGETABLES or in my free time I roast Vermicelli ,sooji with some chopped Onions , Green chillies and Ginger and store in a Glass container . All I need is to add some Chopped Vegetables and Water. Don’t forget to Squeeze Lime Juice at the end . It adds Sour taste to Upma and feel like eating more. Once you finish cooking leave on the stove with lid half open and fluff it up after 10 minutes. You can pack for KIDS LUNCH BOX as it taste good at room temperature .
Serve this Vegetable Upma with little sugar (Optional) or Lime juice Pickle or no need of any side as it taste good on its own . Follow my recipe to enjoy a tasty One pot fluffy and tasty Upma .How much WATER to add and how to Cook a fluffy Upma and not Mushy .
RECIPE for 4 . PREPARATION and COOKING TIME : 20 minutes .
1. Whole wheat vermicelli – One measuring cup
2. Semolina ( Sooji) or Fine wheat rava ( Cracked wheat) – 1/4 th cup
3. Vegetables – Chopped Onion – Medium , Chopped Potato – 1 Bite size, Chopped carrots , Beans, Corn and Peas , Chopped tomatoes – 2
4. Juice of Lime – 1/2 to 1 according to your taste.
5. Oil – 2 tbsp
6. Curry leaves and finely chopped Coriander leaves
7. Water – 2 1/2 Measuring cups
8. Roasted peanuts and Cashews – Handful each
9. Split Black urad dal – 1 tbsp , Cumin seeds and Mustard seeds – 1/2 tbsp each
10 . Chopped Green chillies – 2 to 4 ( Zero spicy or Mild spicy ) and Chopped Ginger – 2 tbsp
1. Roast Semolina ( Sooji ) and Vermicelli with 1/2 tbsp Oil . Transfer to a bowl .
2. In the same pan heat 1 tbsp Oil and add Split Urad dal , Cumin seeds and Mustard seeds followed by chopped Onions , Chopped Potato and Mixed vegetables . Season with salt . Add Curry leaves.
3. When Vegetables are cooked add Chopped tomatoes and water . Mix well . Bring to Boil . Now taste the water for salt and add accordingly.
4. Pour the roasted Sooji and Vermicelli slowly into boiling water and mix without lumps. Cover and cook . Stir in between gently . Once the water is evaporated switch off the stove . Add roasted Peanuts and Cashews . Mix gently .
5. Add chopped Green chillies , Ginger , Chopped Coriander. Keep lid half and wait for few minutes. Fluff it up with fork . Squeeze juice of Lime. ( Note – I like to add Green chillies and Ginger at the end so the Upma won’t be spicy for Kids)
Pack for Lunch Box or Serve warm for Dinner/ Weekend Lunch . Taste good warm or at room temperature.