Lentils Vegetable Upma with Scrambled Steamed Lentils Millets Idli and Vegetables for any Meal ( Breakfast/Lunch /Dinner) Kids Lunch Box with Plain Yogurt(Curd)
If your kids trouble to eat their Lunch/Dinner try this One pot meal with Yogurt( curd). Healthy meal for those who want to Loose weight and for Diabetic people . A diet based on low GI foods may help with weight control and heart disease. According to the University of Sydney glycemic index database of foods all lentils are ranked as low GI . A 150 g of dried lentils has a GI of 21. The Glycemic Index or GI is a ranking of carbohydrates rich foods on scale of 0 to 100 according to the degree they influence blood glucose levels after consumption. High GI foods have a score of 70 or great and cause a quick rise in blood glucose. Low GI foods are ranked 55 or low due to their slow release of energy. Most American diabetic association identifies vegetables has low GI with a ranking of 55 or less .Eating whole grains with lentils can help decrease the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Lentils stabilize your blood sugars , Protects your digestive system because of high in fiber , protect your heart. The protein , fiber and carbohydrates that lentils pack helps slow digestion . This extends the feeling of fullness , delays hunger and results in low GI response – meaning lentils help your body regulate blood glucose and insulin levels. Source : Health magazines .
Lentils vegetable Upma is a Healthy One pot meal that you can serve for Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner or pack for Kids Lunch Box with Plain Yogurt ( Curd) . You can eat this as meal if you are on diet or trying to loose Weight or Diabetic people as it is prepared with Steamed Lentils Millets Idli and lots of vegetables . It Keeps you full and satisfied till next Meal. Even Kids who doesn’t like to eat steamed Idli , will definitely like this Version as it is soft and little tangy taste from raw mango , soft and sweet bite of Cooked Green Peas and easy to swallow for them with Yogurt. I love this dish and can eat every day without feeling bored. Do try as it is Simple to Prepare with every day Ingredients from your pantry.
Recipe for 4 People .
Preparation time : 15 Minutes Cooking time : 10 Minutes
1.. Prepare these steamed Idli’s with Lentils( Urad dal , Channa dal , Green moong dal Yellow Moong dal and Daliya( Cracked wheat ) or Quinoa or Brown rice or Millets)
2.One 3/4 th cup Dals or Lentils to 1 cup Grains . Quinoa only One cup for One 3/4 th cup Lentils . Oats and Daliya Half cup each for 1 3/4 th cup lentils or Oats and Brown rice 1/2 cup each for 1 3/4 th cup lentils. Same lentils with different combination of Grains.
3. soak lentils for 3 to 4 hours, Grind and Ferment .Steam idli’s for 12 minutes and cool , Scramble as shown in the Picture.
1. Steamed and Scrambled Lentils and Millets Idli – 8
2. Onion – Medium ( Finely chopped) and Grated Raw Mango – 1/2 or Small mango
3. Grated Carrots and vegetables of your choice
4. Green chillies – chopped , Ginger – chopped ( small Piece)
5. Cooked green peas – 1 1/2 cup
6. Curry Leaves and finely chopped coriander leaves
7. Roasted Peanuts
9. Salt to taste and Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp
10 . MTR puligore Powder – 1 tbsp or Curry powder or Rasam or Sambar powder – 1 tbsp
11. Seasoning – Black split Urad dal – 1 tbsp, Cumin seeds and Mustard seeds – 1/2 tbsp each , Red chillies – 2
1. Scramble steamed Lentils and Millets Idli . Soak 1/2 cup Urad dal , 1/4th Channa dal , 1/4 th cup Green Moong and 1/4 th Cup Yellow Moong and Cracked Wheat ( Daliya) or 1 cup Quinoa or with Daliya and Oats ( If adding Oats , don’t soak with lentils) or Brown rice or Millets for 3 to 4 hours . Grind and ferment Overnight . Grease Idli plates with Oil and pour big spoonful of batter in each Idli mould as shown in the Picture . Steam in Pressure cooker without steamer for 13 minutes . When pressure comes down remove Idli’s with steel spoon . Cool them and scramble the Idli’s .
Chop Onions. Grate Carrots . Grate Raw mango . Chop vegetables of your choice( Green Beans , Cabbage etc)
2. Heat Oil and splutter Mustard seeds followed by Split Black urad dal , Cumin seeds, Red chillies , Green chillies , Ginger and Curry Leaves .
3. Add Onions and fry till light Brown . Now add chopped Vegetables , Grated Carrot .
4. Once vegetables are soft , Switch off the stove and add Scrambled Lentil Millets Idli and Cooked Green peas. Season with Salt and MTR puligore Powder or Curry powder or sambar powder. Mix gently .
5. Add roasted Peanuts and Grated Raw mango .Check for Salt and Spices and adjust accordingly .
Serve with Plain Yogurt( Curd) .