Instant pot Masoor Dal ( Green lentils) Cabbage Biryani – One pot meal for Lunch /Dinner with raita ( Vegetables in Yogurt ) and salad . WEEKEND LUNCH
Recipe for 3 to 4 with Raita, Spinach Pakora , Kheer and Salad. WEEKEND LUNCH
If you are like me who doesn’t want to spend much time in Kitchen , try this One pot meal with Masoor Dal ( Green Lentils) , Cabbage and vegetables. I prepare this One pot meal for quick Dinner or for Weekend Lunch before going out or when I take Kids to Library activities. Just saute for 2 minutes and add all the ingredients. Done in no time without any water left and No burnt bottom. It stays warm till we come back from activities and ready to eat Lunch . No need to transfer to any container and no need to warm in Microwave. I like adding Masoor dal in my Biryani recipes . It holds shape once you finish cooking and good source of Protein for vegetarians . I added mild spices so kids can enjoy too . It won’t taste bland . It’s flavorful and tasty One pot meal . Serve with raita , Salad , Spinach Pakora and Kheer .
Lentils have negligible amount of fat and good source of protein without adding any extra fat to the body there by promoting a healthy heart . India has largest number of vegetarians ans Lentils can be a substitute for meat in supplying the required protein . Good source of dietary fiber . Dietary fiber filled food such as Lentils help in controlling blood sugar . Dietary fiber also slows down the rate at which food is absorbed by the blood and thus maintains the sugar level constantly . Lentils have great potential to control cancer growth. Studies conducted at university of Illinois have found that plant lectins a separate type of plant protein originate from foods like lentils , wheat , peanuts have a great influence on cancer cells.Side effects of excessive protein – excessive consumption can pressurize kidneys in flushing out those excess protein in the body . Eat in moderation .Source : HM
RECIPE FOR VEGETABLE RAITA WITH CUMIN SEED OIL :
1. Basmati rice – One cup ( soak for 30 minutes)
2. Masoor Dal ( Green Lentils) – 1/2 cup ( soak for 30 minutes )
3. Water – 1 1/2 cup
4. Vegetables – Cabbage – Half of medium cabbage ( thinly sliced) , tomatoes – 2 ( chopped) , Green Beans and Chopped carrots – One cup , Green peas
5. Spice Powders – Red chilli powder , coriander and Cumin powder – 3/4 th to 1 tbsp or Curry Powder – 1 tbsp
6. Whole Garam Masala – 5 cloves , 3 cardamom , 2 Bay Leaves , Cinnamon stick – Medium , Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
7 . Oil – 4 to 5 tbsp
8. Finely chopped coriander and Mint leaves
1.Turn Instant pot on a saute mode . When warm add oil followed by Whole Garam Masala and Cumin seeds. Add thinly sliced onions. Fry till light brown. Add Crushed garlic and ginger . Fry for a minute.
2. Then add red chilli powder , coriander and Cumin powder. Mix well. Add sliced cabbage, Chopped tomato , green beans , carrots and Green peas. Mix well .
3. In a bowl mix rice , soaked lentils , water and salt. Taste water for salt .and add accordingly. 4. Add this to Inner pot .
4. Close lid. Rice mode . NPR . SERVE with vegetable raita.
Recipe Link :