Bottle Gourd(Lauki) Moong Dal Biryani with Onion Tomato Raita.
Stress free WEEKEND Lunch – One pot meal
Bottle gourd ( Lauki) – Dal , Curry , sambar, Chutney and Yogurt Curry . Add one more to the list . Bottle Gourd( Lauki) Moong dal Biryani .
2 pots to clean .
Preparation time – 10 Minutes . Cooking time – 15 minutes .
Result : Nice and fluffy Biryani . Served with Raita .
Taste – Try and let me Know.
After trying Cabbage Moongdal Biryani which became favorite for everyone in my family , this week I tried new Biryani with Bottle gourd( Lauki) and Moong Dal. Tasty Biryani you can cook in 15 minutes and less pots to clean( 2 Pots) . I used Rice cooker and Pan for Tadka ( Seasoning) . Our Saturday Lunch will be Biryani or Pulav. Easy for me to cook because we can add all Vegetables and Cook in Rice cooker and even my kids like to eat with Onion Tomato Raita. This week I tried with Bottle Gourd( Lauki) , little different from Cabbage Moong Dal Biryani. I added spices and Biryani Masala which is not overpowering with Spices and Kid friendly . Recipe is for 3 to 4 People and we need little more Oil , so the rice will be fluffy and not Mushy . Added Ghee for extra flavor and taste.
Khichidi or Moongdal Biryani is a healthy meal and provides right nutrients if vegetables are added and easy to digest. It is soothing for the intestines when eaten with Curd. Moong Dal is a good source of dietary fiber and Vitamins .In today’s recipe I added Lauki( bottle gourd) also called as Sorakaya in telugu, Ghiya in Punjabi, Sorakkay in tamil and Dudhi in Marathi. It is low calorie vegetable with 12 calories for 100 grams , Zero fat and contains 13 percent of Vitamin C. Free radicals speeds up the process of aging whereas the adequate consumption of vitamin C slows down the appearance . Vitamin C reduces the dryness and wrinkles. Select Bottle gourd which are light . medium and thin . So the seeds will be tender and no need to remove them. Do try, you are going to like the new taste of Biryani with Moong Dal , Bottle Gourd( Lauki) and other Vegetables.
Recipe for 3 to 4 People with Raita and Salad .
Preparation and Cooking time : 30 Minutes .
RECIPE for ONION TOMATO RAITA:
To 2 Cups of Yogurt(Curd) add finely chopped Onion , chopped Tomato , Chopped Coriander leaves and Salt. Heat 1 tbsp oil and add Cumin seeds . Cool and add to Yogurt. You can add Green chilli Paste or Chopped Green chillies and Chopped Ginger.
1. Basamati rice of your Choice( White Basamati Rice, Red Rice or Brown Basmati Rice) – 1 Cup
2. Yellow split Moong Dal – 1/2 Cup
3. Water – 2 Cups
4. Vegetables – Bottle gourd – 20 Pieces , Potato – 2 ( Peeled and Cubed) , Carrot – 10 ( Sliced) , Tomatoes – 2 ( Chopped )
5. Onion – 1 ( Medium , Chopped) , Ginger and Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
6. Whole Garam Masala – 1 tbsp Cumin seeds , 5 Cloves , 2 Cardamom, 2 Bay Leaves , Cinnamon stick – 1 medium
7. Spices – Red chilli Powder , Coriander and Cumin powder, Biryani Masala
8. Oil – 4 tbsp and Ghee – 1 tbsp
10. Finely chopped Coriander and Mint Leaves .
1. Soak Basmati rice and Moong dal for 15 to 20 minutes. Wash 3 to 4 times and transfer to Rice Cooker . Add water 2 cups water and season with Salt. Taste water for Salt and add accordingly .
2. Heat Oil in a pan and add Whole garam Masala( Cumin seeds, Cloves , Cardamom, Bay leaf and Cinnamon stick ) . Then add thinly sliced Onions . Fry until light Brown . Then add Ginger Garlic paste and fry for Couple of minutes.
3.Add Vegetables( Bottle Gourd( Lauki) , Potato , Carrot and Tomatoes followed by spices ( Red chilli Powder , Coriander and Cumin Powder and Biryani Masala) . Mix well .
SERVE Bottle gourd Moong Dal Biryani with ONION TOMATO RAITA.