Sweet Potato Wrap /Flat Bread – 3 ingredients for BREAKFAST , LUNCH and DINNER .
Recipe for 6 Flat Bread’s /Roti
Sweet potato flat bread or roti is a simple recipe prepared with 3 ingredients and can be served for any meal. You can even use it as a wrap. You can prepare day before or in your free time and refrigerate. Wrap in a paper towel and warm for 30 seconds before you serve. You can pack for KIDS LUNCH BOX too. For Breakfast serve with Tomato raita or plain Yogurt( curd) and Pickle . For Lunch and Dinner serve with Tomato Green Squash ( Lauki) yogurt curry . I shared the LINK at the end of the post.. Roti or flat bread is commonly eaten as an accompainment to various curries and prepared with just whole wheat flour or combination of flours. Some times for Breakfast my kids eat roti with Banana and Honey. I buy big bag of Sweet potatoes for everyday cooking and because of its Health benefits. We prepare aloo( potato ) Paratha by stuffing with potato . Thought of using Sweet potato as stuffing. Changed my mind and mixed with flour and spices. Easy to prepare and not sticky to roll .
I added chickpea flour to boost protein. Chickpea flour also called Besan or channa flour or gram flour. You can easily find in Asian stores or Indian stores. While preparing flat breads /Roti you can substitute 1/2 cup chickpea flour for every one cup whole wheat flour. Eating foods containing wheat flour provides energy you need to get through the day . It contains 13 grams of dietary fiber per cup which helps promote healthy digestion. Consuming wheat flour also contributes to your micro nutrient intake per day. B vitamins in wheat collectively support your body deliver energy from your food. Chickpea flour has fewer calories and carbs and better source of protein.
Sweet potatoes are not the same as Yams . Many people use the terms interchangeably as both vegetables are similar size and color . Yams are native to Africa and Asia and can grow larger than the average potato. The sweet potato was not however a wild plant and required cultivation by Incas . It travelled over the land and sea making its way to Europe and quickly becoming an expensive , rare delicacy. Not all Sweet potatoes are orange in color . In fact sweet potatoes can also have purple flesh . No matter the color all sweet potatoes deliver fantastic health benefits. . One cup of Sweet potato contains 114 calories but packs a whopping 377 percent of your daily intake of Vitamin A . Fat is practically nonexistent in the Sweet potato root , making it a Healthy guilt free snack option. Although we associate the sweet potato with Holidays it’s beneficial to add the Sweet root to your diet throughout the year and they can easily found year round. Other Health Benefits of the Sweet potato include 52 percent of the Daily recommended Intake of Vitamin C as well as 50 percent of DRI of manganese. The root vegetable or tuber contains free radical killing antioxidants which may also assist in blood sugar regulation. Source : HM . Here is the Simple recipe with 3 Ingredients .
Why I LIKE SWEET POTATO WRAPS THAN REGULAR ?
1. NO need to rest the dough and you can prepare Wraps immediately . It won’t stick while rolling.
2. They are soft at room temperature so you can pack for KIDS LUNCH BOX and for Adults .
3. You can prepare dough and refrigerate. Prepare fresh before you serve.
4. Prepare Wraps and refrigerate . Warm for 20 seconds ( Wrap in a paper towel) in Microwave before you serve.
5. Fill with your favorite vegetables and enjoy as a wrap with SEASONED YOGURT( CURD)
RECIPE FOR TOMATO RAITA : Heat 1 tbsp oil and add 1/2 tbsp Cumin seeds followed by chopped tomato . Cook until tomato is soft. Add 1/2 tbsp curry powder or Rasam or sambar powder. Cool and add to Yogurt( Curd) . Add grated Carrots and Chopped Coriander too .
1. Sweet potato – medium ( Wrap in a wet paper towel and microwave for 3 minutes( 1+1+1) Stop the microwave for every One minute . Cool and mash the sweet potato .
2. Multi grain four or Whole wheat flour – 1 measuring cup or Rice flour – One measuring cup
3. Chickpea flour – 1/2 cup
4. Ajwain – 1/4 th tbsp , Curry powder – 1 tbsp ( Blend of Red chilli powder, Corainder powder , cumin powder , fresh coriander and garlic)
6. Water for kneading dough
7. Oil – 1 tbsp
1 . In a mixing Bowl mash Sweet potato . To this add Muligrain flour or Whole wheat flour, Chickpea flour, Ajwain , Salt and Curry powder. Mix well . Taste the flour for salt and spices and add accordingly . If needed add water slowly until a dough is formed .
2 . Apply little Oil to the dough .
3. No need to rest . You can leave overnight and prepare for next day .
4. Divide into 6 equal portions .
5. Grease your hands with little oil and roll into a ball and flattened it.
7. Place on the work board and roll it 2 inch thick . If needed dust with flour.
8. Heat a skillet on a medium heat . When warm enough place the roti and fry 30 seconds on both sides . Apply Oil on both sides of flat bread .
Serve warm for BREAKFAST with Plain Yogurt ( curd) and for LUNCH , DINNER with Tomato Green squash ( Lauki) Yogurt ( curd) curry .
Recipe Link :