Vegetable Sambar ( Short cut Method) without adding soaked dal – Instant Pot
Many of you must be knowing how to prepare Vegetable sambar. But do try my version of Short cut Vegetable Sambar without Cooking Dal separately or adding everything directly in INSTANT POT. Even in Instant Pot you must be adding soaked dal which may not be cooked properly or you won’t get the right consistency like traditional method of cooking dal in Pressure cooker. Check my Sambar masala paste I shared in the Ingredients and how much water we need to add so you don’t have a burnt bottom . Here is the Simple recipe .
Recipe for 4 to 6 .
1. Channa Dal – Handful ( Soaked)
2. Vegetables ( Chopped) – Medium Lauki( Bottle gourd) , Tomatoes – 2 , Potatoes – 2 ( Peeled and chop into circles ) , Carrots- 10 ( Chopped bite size) and Drum stick
3. Water – 4 Measuring cups
4. Sambar Paste – Dry roast 1 /2 tbsp Cumin seeds, 1/2 tbsp Coriander seeds, 5 Pepper cons, 3 Red chillies . Cool and Grind with 2 tbsp dry coconut , 3 cloves of Garlic and small piece of Ginger. Add One chopped tomato and One measuring cup water and grind into fine paste .
5. Tamarind – Small Lemon size ( Soak in warm water and extract the juice – One measuring cup juice)
6. Jaggery – 2 tbsp or accordingly
7. Salt and Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp
8. Oil – 1 tbsp and Ghee – 1 tbsp
9. Finely chopped Coriander and Curry Leaves
10 . Tadka ( Seasoning) – 1 tbsp Black split urad dal, 1/2 tbsp Cumin seeds, 1/2 tbsp Mustard seeds and 2 Red chilies and Hing – Pinch
1. Dry roast the spices and grind into fine powder . Then add One Chopped Tomato and One Measuring cup water and grind into fine paste.
2. Grind Soaked Channa dal with One measuring cup water. Transfer to the Sambar paste Bowl .
3. Add Jaggery , salt, Tamarind extract water and 2 Measuring cups water. Check for Consistency and add accordingly .
4. Turn IP on saute mode . Add Oil and Ghee. Add Black split urad dal , Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, red chillies , Curry leaves followed by finely chopped Onions. season with Salt and Turmeric.
5. Once Onions are light brown add Chopped Vegetables except tomato . Cover with glass lid and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
6. When vegetables are half cooked add the Sambar Paste water and Chopped tomato . Mix well . Cancel saute button . Manual 8 minutes .NPR after 10 minutes.
7. Taste for salt and spices and add accordingly. Add chopped Coriander leaves and Half tbsp Ghee .
Note : You can add Tadka one more time with 1/2 tbsp Oil , 1/2 ghee and Black split urad dal , Mustard seeds and Cumin seeds.